Thursday, December 25, 2008

Grandma Remembers Christmas

My first recollection was in the house in Greensburg, Pennsylvania. It was a two story house with a big stair case going up to the second floor. Dad bought a huge tree that went all the way up to the second floor. He and Mom decorated it with lights and beautiful sparkling decorations and tons of icecicles. They don't have them anymore, but what a tree they made. It was the example that we used on every tree until they became Modern and didn't make trees like that any more. I must have been about four years old. I had wanted a table and chair set so I could have tea parties with my dolls. It was a lovely table with drop leaves. It had two chairs and I still have one. It has been around all these years when the table and other chair have gone the way of all such things. I loved that set. It helped me enjoy many happy hours playing all kinds of things with, and on it. It was made of pine and had a white wash over the pine finish. It had a red and blue emblem on the back of the chairs and around the edge of the table. I remember one of the legs of the table was broken and Dad mended it with a limb from a tree. It didn't look very fancy with three well turned legs like on the chairs, but it held the table steady. The last I remember of it, it was holding some of Dads gardening supplies just under the bathroom window at 2914 Belgrave Avenue, in Huntington Park, Californa. I suppose the weather did a job on it and it finally was thrown out. A little girls dreams and play time long forgotten. However one of the chairs suvived. It was moved from house to house staying in one garage after another. Usually hanging on a wall so it wouldn't get broken. It became dusty and worn, but it was always a very dear thing to me. One Christmas I was finishing up the food for our Christmas dinner when the door opened and my Son in Law came in with "MY CHAIR". I dropped everything and ran to see it. What a great and sweet thing to do. Greg had taken it and refinished it. It is beautiful. An old lady sentimental over a small chair. It is special to this day, and I wonder if any other little girl will love it as much as I have over these years.

I'm a bit too hefty to set in it now, but that doesn't matter. Just looking at it now that I am nearly 80 brings back a host of sweet memories. When we moved from Pennsylvania to California and had to pick and choose just what would fit in that small trailor we would pull with the Model A Ford Dad had, well that Table and Two Chairs were deemed Special Enough to be
kept. Many of Moms beautiful things were sold to help pay for the trip and keep the family until Dad could find work in California. That was in 1935 the Country was still in the Depression of 29. How my parents afforded the Table and Chairs for me, I will never know, but they too had thoughts of those three small pieces and kept them for a Daughter they loved very much.

There have been many Christmas since that one, each one filled with all kinds of memories, some very close to us. Jay and I have two children and Christmas was special in our house. Jay
always said I would separate a pair of sox to have more packages under our tree. I would have him put the tree up the day after Thanksgiving, and nearly everyday something new showed up. Kept the kids checking to see just how many packages they had. When they were small, I did a lot of sewing for them. I would work on things after the kids had gone to bed and then wrap packages while they were at school. I don't remember all the things they received, but one of the brightest Christmas memories was the one where Paul got his two wheeled bike. I think Dawn was as excited about it as Paul was. I don't think we had as much excitement when she got her bike years later.

Time passes, families grow and add more families. Children are so very special, and grandchildren just add more to the mix, but when the great grandchildren come, and you are still able to enjoy their excitement about the Holiday, well that is the Cherry on top of the Whipped Cream. Thanks to my wonderful family - they bring so much joy and happiness into my life. I believe the one thing that has pleased me the most is that as our numbers have grown, the blessings of the Gospel has been embraced by the Third Generation. Jay had come into my life and brought with him not only the love and companionship a girl dreams of, but my introduction to the Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints. I am greatful for the wonder life we shared and the family we have established. As the story continues, may it be a blessing to all those who follow. er

No comments:

Post a Comment