Friday, January 6, 2012

I've Learned: "it's the little things!"

Well here we are into another year - 2012 - and I guess I had best start it off with some tid bit of my life. Not that I haven't been on line with a great many other tid bits that is! Having said that, I will sprint forward with another of my 'ramblings'.
Over the years it has been quite obvious that the 'big things' do matter, but it is the 'little things' that seem to bring the greatest shock, or happiness. I have no idea why that is, but it is a known fact. Purhaps it is because when they come, they always leave such lasting impressions on ones mind. Those small gestures that were not expected, but some how just seemed to jump out at you when you least expected it, or purhaps needed it the very most. They may come form someone in the family, or at times they may be recieved by some friend, or even a person not so well known, but who came forward at just the right time. I am not sure I can come up with any particularly exciting instances at this writting, but I know they have happened in my long life, and when they did, I have been profoundly greatful for each and every one.
I am sure as you read through this little 'rambling' you too can think of a time or two when something just 'wonderful' happened, when you needed it or least expected it. Times when your day has been 'sparked' by that 'little something'. In fact I think one of the times that most sticks out in my mind is not what happened to me, but a time, when my Visiting Teaching Partner and I were given a Family who had just moved into our Ward in Pico Rivera. My partner had 6 children. I believe at the time there were only 2 in school. I had 2 with only 1 in school. We stopped by, just after this family had just moved in. Things weren't in a settled way, but with, as I remember it, 4 children in the house that wasn't much of a surprise. After a short visit, and the children getting to know each other, we found out the oldest, a girl, was having a Birthday and was a bit upset because she didn't know anyone to have a Party with.
My partner, after we got into the car, suggested we plan and give a 'surprise party' for the little girl. Why not, I thought, we have a built in party list in our two families with what was in the home, it would be fun!
And so it was. Mary Lou (my partmer) baked a cake, decorated it, and we were set to go. The gifts as I recall weren't all that fancy, but that was not the point of the whole thing, now was it? We put all the kids in the Station Wagon - that filled the bill, but was certainly not the newest, or greatest. I believe our kids were so much more excited than the little girl was when she saw us. (Oh, I believe our family brought the ice cream), and the Party was on. You know it wasn't what we had done that made it all come together, but the fun the kids had, and the total appreciation of a Mother who was tired from the move, and at a loss to know how she could make the girl happy, as well as make her chiildren feel welcome in their new home. Well when the next Primay Day came (you have to remember this was years before the 3 hour block schedule) there were a bunch of new friends who were happy to see each other in Primary . It wasn't much of a stretch to put something together on such short notice. It wasn't even a bother, but it turned out to leave a lasting impression on some children who, I venture to say, have never forgotten it!
Another time when Visiting Teaching struck such a cord was when I had the chance through the Relief Society to set up a 'move in dinner' for a family I heard was coming into the Paso Robles area. I happened to work with the Sisters Son. He alerted me to this, and I talked it over with some of the other Sisters who lived close to where this new family was moving in. As the trucks drove into the drive-way, here set two other cars with everything needed for a set down spagetti dinner. Hot and ready to enjoy. A table was quickly set up, chairs for those who were moving and those who were helping with the move. It wasn't fancy, it was just good, hot food. Everyone took their seats and enjoyed a rest and some quick exchange with those they were meeting for the first time. After the meal was finished. We picked up all the mess, saw the food that was left was ready to be stored in the Fridge when it was hooked up and we were on our way. Those who had made the long drive from Los Angeles felt refreshed, fed and ready to unload. You know I have never forgotten that day, nor have the people envolved in joining us in Paso Robles. We have been friends, and enjoyed many sweet experiences together since. Lets see, that was about 20 years ago, as I recall.
Yes it is the 'little things' that we appreciate, and remember. Whether they were recieved, or given, it matters not. The thing is that as we give a little we seem to receive so much more in return. Purhaps that is because in giving we receive the 'better part'. A loving heart and a spirit, I like to think, is much closer to the Savior than any other experience produces.

So in life, learn to accept the 'little things'; be quick to give 'little things'. Notice when things are given and relish the pleasure in giving. It may not be much, but we may never know how very greatful a small thoughtful-ness may mean to someone else!

Written this 6th day of January 2012

No comments:

Post a Comment