Saturday, June 16, 2012

Grandmas Craft Closet

If you have ever heard about Fibber McGees closet, you have some idea of what this one looked like.  Over the years I guess I have gathered just about any and everything you might want to become "crafty".  Of course at one time I was, "very crafty", however at my age those ideas have long been dulled.  Now I set, read, crochet, of knit.  Keeping busy has been limited to the  movement of my hands and eyes it seems.  I still enjoy pretty, fun things, but have no more room for them in the house, and definately no room in the Closet. 
What to do?  Well I learned my Grand Daughters were coming home for a short visit and I got a great idea!  Let those girls come and fight over what they could possibly find for their busy hands and minds to work with.  Soo -
yesterday they arrived early and tackled the job of going into that MESS I
had gathered over the 28 years I have lived in this house.  My only thought in the matter was not to look at what they found, and definately not to get caught up in what they either took or tossed into a large trash can I gave them. 
They didn't have time to go through things piece by piece.  They just had a very quick look into each bag, box, basket or whatever to decide whether it was something one or the other of them might use, or were intersted in.  A
time or two I heard an exicted gleeful sound as one or the other of them found something they had good use for.  I didn't want to know.  They really did a great job of emptying the closet and taking away any number of things I had felt at one time or another would be fun to do.  Now, I have no idea what any of those things might be, but really I don't care.  At least it is out of the Closet and I can now put the space to good use for storing some items of greater worth to me personally. 
We all seem to become collectors of "stuff" much of which we really cherished at one time, but as we grow oldler we find have no use for in our scaled down lives.  Watching the girls find things that might be useful either in their own homes or in the jobs they have in the Church gave me a good
feeling that all was going to a better place than it had been in many a day.
I'm sure there were things in one or another of the boxes, bags or baskets that I might find a use for, but knowing the slow methodical manner in which I now live, it would probably have just layed around without being thought of again.  We seem to hang on to so many things that are no longer useful or needed. 
Which leads me to say: "Thanks girls for coming and getting those things moved into another area and possibly found a great use for.  Like they say if you haven't thought of it, needed it or used it for 6 months, you don't need it any longer.  I am relieved to know I can open that door now and not be afraid of an avalance of buttons, ribbon, paint, glue or misc. items jumping
out at me.  Plus the frustration of knowing somethings I am looking for are definately somewhere in that MESS, but I have neither the time nor the
will power to dig into it to find it.  Now I don't have to think about it, or worry about it.  I shall be ever greatful to the three of you for coming and doing a job that has needed done for a long, long  time.  May I add as well,
ENJOY!  - Grandma "R"

No comments:

Post a Comment