Saturday, September 28, 2013

My Chair!

When I was about 4 years old, Santa Claus delivered a table and chair set.  I had so wanted one to play 'tea party' with the lovely tea set my grand parents who lived in California had sent me.  When I came down the stairs and saw that table and chair set, I was thrilled.  I don't think I let the chairs be empty from that day until we put them in the trailer to bring them to California - that was in 1935.  Those same grand parents had sent me a knife, fork and spoon set they had bought while visiting Long Beach, or at least I believe that was where they had found it.  They were a childs set and had abalone shell handles.  I have no idea what happened to each piece, but just the other day I found one of the shell coverings.  May have been off the knife.  So many such things seem to get lost over the years, by one means or another.

However, I wanted to talk about "my chair". That set was around for so many years.  Only one chair survived.  The table I remember lost a leg and Dad put a branch from tree in its' place.  The sad little table was left in the yard, under the bathroom window where the eves gave it some protection and it was loaded regularly with newpapers that were periodically bundled and taken to school for a "paper drive".  The final where about of that table is lost to me, but that one chair has been kept over all these years.  It at one
time was hung in the rafters of the garage, so it wouldn't be in the way.  then it was put up in first one garage then another.  Needed to have some "TLC"
but never seemed to get any attention to receive what it needed. 

Each time we moved, I think Jay wondered why in the heck we hung on to the poor thing, but I wouldn't part with it, just had it put some where safe until the time I could "get around to it".  With all the furniture Jay worked on over the years it is surprising he didn't get around to it himself, but he never did. It wasn't until my Son-in-law got envolved - how that came about I am not sure - the chair was secretly spirited away, never missed, and given the "TLC" it had so sadly lacked over all the years.

I was in the last stages of getting Christmas Dinner ready to serve when the
Slane family came in the front door.  I hollered a "hello" and went right on with what I was doing.  When I looked up a short time later I spied Greg with "MY CHAIR" in his hands, trying to sneak it in the house.  One glance, and those words came very loudly out of my mouth, and tears came
into my eyes.  I didn't need to guess, I just knew it was "MY CHAIR".  I
was thrilled and if I hadn't of had my hands full of what ever it was I was doing, I am sure I would have sprinted to take a closer look.  It was so wonderful to see it - all solid, freshly stained and varnished.  Well it is such a prize, it is in my "reading room".  Any child would love to set in it, but at
present it has a doll bent over it in prayer.  Just a very special edition to the
room.  The doll was a gift to me from a very dear friend I served my second
mission with in Salt Lake City.

I guess there are somethings in life that take a special spot in ones heart and never loses the value it gained when it was first introduced.  The chair is no longer the same color it was when it was new, it may have weathered over the years, but it will ever be a very special thing in my life, and whoever ends up with it in their home when I no longer can care for it, I hope they will ever remember that it was something a little girl once cherished, and used to fill many happy hours of childhood games and play.  I'm sure I sat in it by the hours learning to write, play paper dolls, color, have tea parties with my dolls and friends.  There was only the table that had two leaves that folded up to make the table bigger and two matching chairs.  The table and one chair lost forever, but this one loan chair remains to be loved and charished like nothing else in my house.  Lets see, it would be an antique as it was made pre-1935.  I believe I received it for our last Christmas in Pennsylvania.  Could have been as early as 1933.  Which would make it at this writing 80 years old.  Yes, it would be an antique.  Remember that when you see it.  Old, loved and very special!  "MY CHAIR!"

Written this 28th day of September 2013
by: Eileen C. Rosenberg

No comments:

Post a Comment