Tuesday, January 7, 2014

The Melody Lingers On

Yes, the music in our lives seems to continue even when we are not paying attention to it.  I especially felt this during the recent Holidays.  There is nothing quite as sweet as the Christmas Carols of olde or the New tunes that have been developed over the years.  It seems we warm to the melody and words of "Chestnuts Roasting" and "Have Yourself a Merry Little Christmas".  Along with the fun tunes like "I Saw Mommy Kissing Santa Claus" and of course "Rudolf the Red Nose Reindeer".  Music both heard, played and enjoyed by one and all is the beauty that touches each of our lives in such a wonderful way.
As for myself, I can't play and instrument, or read a note easily, but I do enjoy singing and have many times enjoyed spending time with others belting out one tune or another.  For some time I sang in Church Choirs.  I was asked to sing at Funerals of friends as well.  A time or two I joined one or two other singers to sing at Church Meetings.  At the age I am now, the voice is not what it once was, but then there is a lot of the Olde
Girl that isn't what it once was.  Not to complain, just a statement of fact.
There was a time I sang with a group of Senior Ladies called the Silver Belles.  We started out as part of the Women's Club of Paso Robles, then set out on our own and happily earned funds by singing at various functions in and around the city, which we gave Music Scholarships to Students from the Local High School. Those were some fun times, and rewarding as well.  Age taken its toll made it a wise choice to start being support rather than a singer.  I still belt out a mean solo around the house, but with my asthma the breath is not what it should be.  When I have to take a breath where it shouldn't be, it doesn't effect my enjoyment.
I have learned that listening gives me much pleasure also.  It doesn't have to be singing, I enjoy a great band, or orchestra with arrangements of music that I have learned to love over the years as well.  Nothing thrills me as much as listening to the Big Bands of the 40's and 50's.  Now that was real music, and how we could dance to it.  Well in some cases the dance floor was so crowded one could merely swayed
 to the tunes.  It certainly did not make the listening any less enjoyable.
When I was a Missionary in Salt Lake City, I was fortunate to be in the Elijah Choir and sing at our Devotionals.  The practices were early in the morning.  Like 5:30 am that is.  But even we older Missionaries were up to the challenge of rising early and making practice.  Sister Jorgenson was worth the effort.  She was a great director, and singer in her own right.  I developed a wonderful relationship, and visited her
office a time of two when I was back in Salt Lake.  In fact, now that I think of it, I was the last Missionary to plan a Devotional Program.  They had scheduled them for years, and then with the change of the Mission Presidency, that policy was changed.  The program I had arranged was fun.  I had looked all over for an old Hymnal that had Primary Music from way back.  I found one in a Used Book Store in Murray, Utah.  It contained some Music I had never heard before.  I asked for some Solo, Mixed Quartet, and Piano Solo
numbers.  It was fun to do, and brought back a great deal of sweet memories for the Missionaries who had been raised in the Church for years.  One of the Elders whistled one of the old songs, and I witnessed a few
tears shed.  Which brings up the Memory of the Program I was asked to do for a Devotional before Jay and I left the Mission Field on my First Mission.  I sang a duet with Elder Bishop.  Can't remember where he was from, but he had a lovely voice and sang in the Elijah Choir too.  The Music for that particular Program was songs from the Primary, the Hymnal and Special Numbers.  What I remember most was the fact that this
program, like all the others was put on before Devotional stated.  I ended my Program with: "Jesus Was No Ordinary Man".  Just when I finished singing and sat down the Mission President Brimhall and his wife walked into the Auditorium.  When he reached the podium he looked out over the 300+ Missionaries and said something to the effect he had never seen the group so quiet.  He was sorry he had missed what had caused such a reverent feeling.  I felt the effort had been worth all the trouble and practice.  Finding time and a pianist who was willing to do the hard work of playing so much music for myself and Elder Bishop was not an easy task.  The ones needed never seem to work in the same area or same time.  Part of us had to work the 'late shift', which made our time from 11:00 am until early evening.  this was because of the shortage of computers at the time.  Well, it all came together, and ended well.
I love music and am pleased to have the Melody Linger On in my life, and hope that it fills just as much in your life as well.  The Lord has told us that His soul delighteth in the song of the righteous" (Section 25 of the Doctrine and Covenants)  I'm greatful to have had many opportunities to share my voice alone, or with others in singing unto the Lord!
Another New Year, more time to lift up our voices and sing, or shout.  May we be happily enjoying both the song and musical rendition of instrument and voice with delight and appreciation during this year!

Written this 7th day of January 2014
by: Eileen Rosenberg

No comments:

Post a Comment