Thursday, February 27, 2014

Then There Was Music

We live in a day and age when we have more noise than Music.  The beat of the Drums seem to be what is the major part of any piece that is Banging out of car radios as I drive down the Streets.  What is being done to the tender ears of those in the cars I pass, I have no idea.  I only know that what I hear is NOT MUSIC.
Guess it gives away my ancient age when I make a statement like that.  So be it!  There is  nothing so sweet as a Melody that soothes the ears and makes the heart beat in mellow rhythm.

Back when I was still quite small - maybe 7 or 8 years of age, I went to a Movie - Ziegfield Follies - that was a Broadway Show that was one of the highlights of New York.  The sets were spectacular and the girls were dressed in lovely gowns and wore fancy head dresses.  In one particular scene Dennis Morgan stood on a huge staircase surrounded by these girls and sang "A Pretty Girl Is Like A Melody".  I can still hear the Music and Lyrics in my head after all these years.  "A pretty girl, is like a melody, that haunts you night and
day.  Just like the strains of a haunting refrain, she'll start upon a marathon and run around your brain.  You can't forget her, she's in your memory, morning, night and noon.  She will leave you, and then, she will come back again.  A Pretty Girl Is Just Like A Melody". Now, that is MUSIC!

I am not into Opera.  Though I am sure it is wonderful, just not what touches my soul and brings the bright lights into my eyes.  Music speaks to the soul and is uplifting.  Brings  hope and insight into ones very being.
It isn't loud, or hard, is can be jazzy, even have a bit of razz-ma-taz and still be MUSIC.  During my youth I know there were a few crazy songs that were popular, but that was mainly their lyrics.  Like "Ashe-b-del-a-zuch, Castle Abbey.  That a Little English Town by the sea. Where the skies are full of blue and the cows are full of moo. In Ashe-b-del-a-zuch by the sea!".

During the Second World War we were blessed with so much Good Music.  There were the Big Bands and the Musicality of the performers.  The Soloists, the Groups that belted out the songs with such delight.  Every toe tapped and everyone knew every word, but didn't blend in just mouth the words as the singers gave out
with the tunes.  That was when Frank Sinatra, Frankie Layne, Mel Torme, Ginny Simms, Lena Horne, Doris Day, Vaughn Monroe, Vic Damon and so many others were getting started.  There were the groups that were so great at that same time.  One of  my very special favorites were the Lettermen.  Oh, and who could ever forget the Williams Brothers or the Ink Spots.  The olde master Bing Crosby was well established before that time, but he wasn't behind in any of the others you can bet on that.

Being War Time of course the songs were about the Army, and Coming Home Again.  Of sweethearts and of the longing of being together.  "I'll Be Home For Christmas", "Don't Set Under The Apple Tree With Anyone Else But Me.", "I'll Be Loving You Always", "Bugle Boy From Company 'B', "You're In The Army Now", "Off We Go Into The Wild Blue Yonder" and of course the many sound tracks of the many Movies that told stories of the War and of the men and women who were to live with the dangers and the time of separations.  Oh, those were the days when Music spelled out the true feelings of those who were caught up in a time in History that is so sadly lost to the Generations of today.  Most of what we lived during those years will never be found in History Books.  Memories will slowly fade away and die, because those who were fortunate to have experienced them will die and not leave the least bit of their feelings behind to help their families carry on in even a small way what that time means to their everyday lives.

I remember singing many of the songs over and over when Jay and I would drive along on dates and after we married.  We both loved them so much, and they were such a part of our lives at that time.  How I fell for those who are young today.  That which they classify as Music seems so lacking in the ability to lift them and make their day peaceful and delightful.  No Melody to 'run around their brain'.  Oh a 'beat' yes, but nothing
to inspire or bring the heart into a sweet pace that helps the whole being feel inspired.  Nerves calm and
the mind relaxed and happy.

Music is so special.  We enjoy the Hymns at Church because they feed the soul and bring to mind the love and enlightenment to our sacred sides.  Their words tell of us such great things and help us learn, through
music what the heart and soul needs to understand.  So should the music we listen to for recreation bring us into mellow and sweet mental avenues.  When we aren't hearing tones and sounds that bring us into a peaceful place, we aren't really having enjoyment.  Well, not in my way of thinking, anyway.  I do Love Music.  All kinds really, but I don't need 'high tech sound' to help me appreciate the notes that come out of instruments.  I love the smooth and even beat of a drum.  I will admit that Gene Krupa  had a wild way of rapping the drums, but those were mainly in a solo break in a piece that let everyone know that he was a real artist.  It was great to watch him, he was a showman, and he could rap out on those Drums like no one could believe.  Then the Band went back to the regular Music, and the show went on.  The Drum returned to the place it had in the arrangement.  It was there, but it was not the BEAT.

I am grateful for the talent of those who can write, and even more so for those who can arrange a piece of Music so that every instrument has their part, and they blend and bring out the beauty of the notes that are on the page.  To me Music is another language that has been given to us.  Some can read it, but all can hear it. There are many types of Music, and for each, there is an audience.  I do not care to take away from anyone what they consider their favorite.  I just want to remember that which has brought me so many hours of great pleasure.  And still hold such fond  memories of times, places, people I don't ever want to forget.  I guess it is part of me to love the finer things of the past.  My Dad had a  lovely voice, as did my Grand Father who sang on the Radio.  Dad was a baritone and Grand Father a Tenor.  I never heard them sing together but I bet they would have been great.  I have sung, good, bad or indifferent all my life, and have enjoyed every minute of it. Now at my age, the voice is no longer of enough quality, and I certainly don't have the wind to maintain notes like I should, but I still sing out when I feel the music, and don't apologize for any lack I may have.  After all, the Lord loves to hear us sing.  I don't believe He is judging how well we do it, just if we have our HEART in it.  I certainly put all my heart and soul into Music.  One way I can express myself and be sure I am not insulting anyone.

I am sure when God made the world, He carefully left the Melody in everything He did.  That is why their is so much beauty all around us.  The wind in the trees, the sweet sound of water running and the clouds drifting lazily over the blue sky.  The streaks of color when the sun rises and sets.  The bright flash of lightening and the boom of the thunder.  Music in a different form, but yet letting our ears and eyes know that there is so much to see, hear and enjoy.  Shouldn't we be mindful of just how much Noise we bring into our lives.  There is enough racket to jog our nerves, why ply our tender body parts with such crashing and abrasive sounds?  I guess it is all in the eyes and ears of the beholder.  Thankfully this beholder is grateful for the 'melody that runs around my brain'.  I am happy to 'not forget it'!

Written this 27th day of February 2014
by: Eileen Rosenberg

No comments:

Post a Comment