Tuesday, March 23, 2010

It is nearly Easter!

One of my favorite times of the year. The sun is shining and the flowers are popping out with such a beautiful aray of colors that it takes my breath away. The earth is beginning to come alive with all sorts of lovely things and I enjoy each one, well maybe not the weeds so much! A real lesson in what the Lord has hoped we learned about His great Plan for all His children. The winter with it's dark days and reasons for staying inside are gone and the invitation abounds everywhere to come out and enjoy life and the beauties of the earth we live on.
Our Spirits are renewed. Possibly, because in some ways; these beautiful days have a silent way of reminding us of our previous home where we enjoyed the companionship of our Heavenly Parents. There, when we were preparing to come here for "our time on earth"! Through all the trials we face here, we had learned there, they would all be worth our struggles. Have you ever turned your face heaven ward in a spring shower? Try it, the refreshing effect will do wonders for you. Almost like a refreshing touch from heaven in the rebirth of the earths renewal with life. There is never another time of the year when there is so much beauty around. When the eye is able to find lovely colors and freshness. The time of year when our Lord and Savior was born and when He came back to show us He had overcome the sorrow of seperation for us. We are his Children in the Covenant and He loves us. There is not now nor has there ever been a soul born into the flesh of this earth that the Savior Jesus Christ has not loved and given His all for. There are those who have lost sight of that fact, but it does not change the purpose or the reason for His loving anyone of us less.
I will admit that modern society has made a great deal out of Easter Egg Hunts and Baskets filled with candy, etc. These are things that have been added, and make children happy and able to enjoy the beauties of the season. However, all the candy, new dresses, etc. does not give them the true reason for why they are so happy and celebrating this time of the year. This morning I was cleaning and dusted a picture of Jesus with some Children. My mind was turned to that part of the Book of Mormon in Third Nephi where the Lord was surrounded by the Children on this the American Continent and blessed each one, one by one. The Children were heard to speak many wonderful things, in fact so wonderful that they could not even be written. Wouldn't it be wonderful if our children today could experience even a fraction of what that may have been like? To be in the presents of the Savior and feel of His love for them. To know that He had done everything necessary for them to return "home" if only they would look to Him and follow His Commandments. The very things that could make them truly happy, not only at this time of the year, but everyday of their lives. Happiness is not money, and "stuff". Happiness is something entirely different and sometimes very hard to explain.
When I was young I really believed I would be happy when I was able to do what I wanted. Then I grew up and am certainly able to do the things that I want, only I have found out that a lot of what I though I would just love to do have turned into things I have to do to just make everyday more pleasant. For instant, driving a car. If I couldn't, getting to and from the store would be a very big problem. What I thought would be the greatest has been turned into one of those normal, have to's. Learning has made me realize that life was not ment to be filled with a lot of fun things, but that when the fun things do come along, they are so sweet. Just to show how simple I have become in my "ancient of age" I can not get enough of a baby laughing. Those sweet giggles are just about the sweetest music in the world. To watch a small child playing with it's Daddy or Mommie, well there isn't much that can top that. I would match that with the smell of a new baby, all bathed and powdered. The nostrils were made for such things as that!
Just as spring has such beauty that tickles and teases every sence, even causing some of us to wheeze and sneeze, it does come and go quickly. So is the time we may enjoy with the little ones who enter our lives. Nothing stays the same. We need to grasp those things we cherish quickly for they surely will be gone before we can scarcely believe it.
This life is short, yet seems long. In God's time table we are here but for a very few seconds or minutes. One of His days is like a Thousand of our Years. If life passes quickly there, it is still a long time for a loving Heavenly Father and Mother to be seperated from those they love. Even more difficult when they witness their children struggling through their mortal life span. Everyday passes quickly. Growing older only teaches us that the time does not slow down, in fact it seems to excellerate. One day seems to blend into another until the weeks become shorter and shorter. We are not waiting for the season to change, but for the opportunities to be met and dealt with until we have finished the work and are truly ready to move on.
It is Easter Time again. We enjoy the things that make Spring so special and we will experience the fun times this season brings. In that enjoying I truly hope we will take just a short amount of time to drink in the reason for all this beauty. Jesus came into the world, a baby with all the challenges every baby faces. Learning day by day the things that will return them to their Heavenly Home. Jesus was the only perfect person to be born on this earth, but He invites each of us to join Him in this journey so we may too return to our Heavenly Home. After 33 years of learning and teaching Jesus suffered for each of us and died that we might live with Him in that Heavenly Home. It was not a grandeous event. Rather sad and lonely really, but it was something He had "offered" to do for each of us. Something difficult, but necessary for the salvation of all the spirit children of Heavenly Father. It is this time of the year when we should find great joy in the season, and the renewal around us that is a reminder we too will be renewed and come forth in our own time and season. Nothing will be lost to us. We will be reunited with those we love and who love us. We will be in a place where we may enjoy an eternity of beauty and love, if we have been faithful.
How fortunate to have been part of the Church and Kingdom of God here in this life. How exciting to realize that we had made great choices in our First Estate and were found worthy to join the Saints at this time and in this place to further the work of the Lord. Most of the time I barely think of this, but it is something that we should all be remembering. I was born in a small mining town in Ohio. Why then, did I end up in California? Of all the people I had rubbed shoulders with, how come I ended up with a member of the Church, a Church I had beed afraid of? How was it the Missionaries were able to find my home, leave a Book of Mormon with Jay, who was not interested in being active, yet left it for me to read? How was it I was so afraid to be rude to those Missionaries I had never met, and not at least read a few pages before they came to see me? How come I found things to question during my reading that led me to the answers that converted me? Who am I that such a great thing should happen? I am a daughter of God and apparently had done something of worth in my First Estate. I may have been lost, but I was found. How come? There will be a day when all the questions will be answered, but for now I am satisfied to do my best in moving forward as I have learned and am still being taught to be a worthy member in Gods Kingdom. To follow Jesus and try to do what He would want me to do. My time on earth has been far longer than I had expected. I am greatful for every day that has been granted to me to enjoy my family and to be about my Fathers business. My calling may not be the most important, but if I don't do it, who will?
It is nearly Easter - I am thrilled with the thought Conference is the same day. What a blessing to set and "listen to the Prophets speak". We live in a very special time, and are blessed to be in a time when we have the modern technology to allow us to see and hear what is taking place hundreds of miles from where we are. I have sat in Conference Sessions in Salt Lake City, but can testify the spirit is with me just as much in my own living room as in the Tabernacle or Conference Center. I am looking forward to this Easter. I am enjoying the rebirth of the earth with all its glory in flower and sunshine. I am blessed, and I am greatful!

Written this 23 day of March, 2010
by: Eileen Rosenberg

No comments:

Post a Comment