Saturday, March 13, 2010

Some Folks I would like to meet again!

Funny how thoughts run through my head at times. Today I was riding along and thought about people who had not crossed my mind in years. No reason, just the way it was. Mr. Homblad the Principle at Pacific Blvd. Elementary School. An average height man, just a bit round, balding and with a pleasant smile. He was nice, and available to the students at the school. Young as I was at the time, he made an impression on me that lingers to this day. Speaking of Principles I would like to meet Mr. Westover from Huntington Park Hight School. He was the Vice Principle, but such a neat man. They named the Auditorium for him after he passed away. He was always smiling and great to be around. Then there was the Policeman who was our crossing guard. Big guy and so good to all the kids. I wish I could recall his name. We always addressed him as "Officer _____". Rain or shine he was always there waiting for us when we got to Slauson Avenue. Busy four lane highway that was a main road to "everywhere". Dangerous street, but we never were afraid because he was there ready to stop the cars and see us across that big street safely.
As time passed and I grew up there were any number of classic characters that made their way through my life. Many left their mark, but not so much as to cling to one thought or another. Then there were the ones who to this day have left fond memories that are still warming to remember. Some were men, some were women. The gender doesn't seem to be as important as the way they touched my life. I realize, now that I am older, that a few were even gay or lesbian, a fact that wasn't really well known to many, but seem to have been known to me for one reason or another. Then it wasn't all that earth shattering, when it should have been. Today they would be "out" and the fact would not be anymore interesting than I found it at that time.
I worked with a number of people that I found either interesting or funny. A boss that went through some trying times and found his employees to be great friends and helped him manage the problems that beset him. I look back on that time and realize even as young as I was at the time - about 18 - I had such sympathy and was always ready to listen to his ramblings over what had befallen him and his family. A time when I grew up in a way I might have missed if it had not been for these circumstances.
I was amazed at some of the women I met and worked with in the Girl Scouts. They had dedicated themselves to the Scouts in a way that I admired. I would like to have been that dedicated, but found I had too many other things in my life that needed my time and attention. I had to learn you can do only so much if you are really to be effective in what you bite off. Never take more than you can chew, as Mom always said. Good advice. A person can try and stretch too far and find they have missed being as effective as they hoped to be and not accomplishing the things that were really important. Days come and go, it is better to do one
thing well than a half dozen things poorly. Too many regrets follow that kind of a thing.
After I joined the Church I met so many inspiring men and women. They were smart, they were ever doing and seldom complaining. One of the first ones I met was a younger Sister who had married young and had a large family. There was little comfort in her home. The children required any extra she and her Husband could scrimp together. They weren't the best dressed, or living in the best house, but they had healthy food on the table and love at home that made the lack bearable. As fate would have it I was assigned as Visiting Teaching partners with her -
I believe it was my first attempt at this calling. We were given the name of a new family that had just arrived. My partner (names are not important to the story) called and asked if I could go and make a "welcome" visit. I was happy to do that. I didn't have a car at the time and her car was a very well worn station wagon that had long since seen a better day. The seats were in pretty bad shape and the interior wasn't all that much better, but it ran - kind of - so off we went. She always had a few smaller children that weren't in school, so the car was full. When we arrived at the home we found a very weary Sister with a number of pre-schoolers of her own. We were invited in and found ourselves in a very limited furnished living room, but plenty of unpacked boxes from the move. We didn't stay long, but long enough for the kids to make friends and learn that one of the children would be celebrating a birthday in a few days. My companion was quick to offer help, which was declined, respectively. I guess she too was aware her "things" weren't all that numerous to need much help. As we drove home my companion made the suggestion we make a party for the child who had to move away from all her friends and family. I wasn't sure what we could do, but I offered to get a couple of presents while my companion said she would bake a cake and get some trinkets to make a fun party. Now I knew this would cut well into what ever budget this Sister had, but she so wanted this little girl to have a good birthday, the thought of the sacrafice was not even concidered.
We surprised the family by showing up with cake and goodies for everyone. That family was so overwhelmed at such a jesture there were wet eyes all around. Lasting friendships were made that day, and children learned that moving wasn't all that bad after all. Sisters who had just met became fast friends and enjoyed a wonderful relationship. It wasn't all that much, but it was more than could have been expected. Two households that were running low on everything but love for their children and faith in their Church. I learned a great deal by that, and as you see I never forgot that event.
When I was in the Girl Scouts I was in charge of a summer day camp. Those who volunteered to help were not know to me. The first day of camp one of the women brough me a beautiful bag to carry my camp cooking gear in. It was beautifully painted with fall leaves. I still have it after all these years - lets see that would be about 30 years ago. I enjoyed working with this women that week. We had a great experience. I never saw her again, but her thoughtful jester has been a great example for me. It may not be a big thing to the one who does such nice things, but to the person, or persons that are on the receiving end remember that thoughtfulness over and over again.
I believe finding the educational advantages in being a member of the Church has been the best influence on my life. I was inspired to make every effort to make the Know You Religion or Education Weeks that came into the area. I have driven miles and spent hours at the feet of those who were willing to share their knowledge with any who would come to partake of these great opportunities. I found those who were presenting various subjects were always ready to reconize those who showed up faithfully to their classes. I made any number of friends with some of the great minds in the Educational System of the Church. I introduced my Mother to these classes and we enjoyed going to many together and sharing the things we learned. I will cherish those times now and always.
Jay made friends that I learned to appreciate as did he. We were able to share family outings with some and go to dinner or enjoy parties with others. You know life brings a lot of different challenges and beneficial encounters over the years. Were all of these great? No, not all, but enough that in looking back, I can honestly say it has been great moving through each one and gleaning from them the best and hanging on to the lessons learned by the worst. Life was never ment to a smooth passage, but it has always been a continuous challenge to find ones way through it with the experiences bring wisdom and satisfaction that it has been worth all it has taken to get to a successful end.
Well I realize I am nearing the end, and find it has been far more rewarding than I could have imagined when I started. Into my life has come some pretty special people. I have taken a few, pretty hard knocks along the way, but have been able to pick myself up and carry on. I am not sure I would care to repeat any of those knocks, but then some I might just give another go if the opportunity presented itself. Just maybe you understand! I am greatful for the lessons I have learned and only wish I could have been more sturdy in some of them. That being said, I am satisfied I have given it my best shot. I faced up to the hard stuff and feel I have been humble for those things which have brought compliments my way. I guess we could all do better, but I am not looking over my shoulder at things I could have done better. After all, we go through life one day at a time, and are continually being bombarded with new things. There is seldom time to look back until time has already past us by. Which means the best way to do anything is to keep focused on what lays ahead. We can't change the past and it is a waste of time to go over it thinking it may make a difference. It won't. All we can ever do is take the lesson and make sure we have learned it well enough we won't stumble over a similar thing in the future. Right? Right!
Well I have "rambled" on long enough - you have a great many things of much more importance than setting at this "one eyed" monster any longer. Have a great day - make it worth your time!
With my love.

Written this 13th day of March 2010
by: Eileen Rosenberg

No comments:

Post a Comment