Monday, July 5, 2010

Go Ahead and Cry!

I know that may sound a bit odd, but it seems to be the way the Smith Family does it. I can recall my Grand Father weeping for the slightest reason. He had such a tender heart. I believe I mentioned that he was a small man, with a very slight build. He worked as a 'finisher' in the pottery. Which ment he put a piece of bisk wear on a turn table and would use a tool to clean the mold lines from the edges. This of course caused a great deal of clay dust. Back in those days, they knew the people in the Potteries developed 'silacosis', but never put two and two together to believe there should be some kind of care taken to protect the health of the workers. Grand Father (yes that was what we called him, remember he came from England and proper etiquete was always observed, even here in America) developed the disease that eventually caused his death.
Well, back to the crying thing. It appears that the trait was one that had carried over to the Smith Kids. I don't ever recall Dad being like that, but Ralph and I sure got the 'weeps'. Ralph was always so much more tender than I. He could cry over the slightest thing. I am prone to bringing on the tears when it really reaches in and grabs me. Well, the only really easy time for me is when I see the Flag. Even thinking about it brings the water to the surface. Maybe it was the things Dad had to say about this country and all it ment to him, or it could have been the effect of the War. Either way, I can really tear up when the Flag is passing by. Even when the Scouts bring it into a meeting.
I had a chance to be around Uncle Bill Horton and Uncle Fred Smith, but do not remember them having the same problem. Uncle Bill Horton was an older half-brother to Grand Father. Uncled Fred a younger brother. It was Uncle Bill Horton who first ventured out of England and came to this Country around 1898 or 1899. Grand Father followed in 1900. Uncle Thomas Horton follwed in about 1909. I don't recall when Uncle Fred came. He was married and had a family. His first wife passed away leaving him with two boys and a girl to raise. He sent to England for his deceased wifes' sister. She came over with Grand Mother Ellen Frost Horton Smith and my Dad John Charles Smith in around 1907. Her name was Annie Clark. She and Uncle Fred married. She raised the children, but they did not have any children together. I knew them well.
After Uncle Fred passed away she remarried a man named Brown.
Hey, I guess I filled in some Family History there, didn't I. Well that is O.K. It doesn't add much to the topic at hand, but may be of use somewhere down the line. Who knows?
I have enjoyed the 4th of July week-end, and had many a tear filled eye with all the Celebrations on TV and in the papers. Even putting out our Flag has brought on the 'water works'. Some people apolgize for such things, but I think it shows some deeper feelings that need to be expressed. At one time I told a friend, male, that I concidered his crying as showing his soul was so expanded that it made his eyes water. Kind of a nice way to tell someone that it is O.K. to: 'Go Ahead and Cry'. In fact there is one man I know that has an entire body experience when he is moved to tears. First he becomes quiet, then he shifts his weight on first one foot and then another. This is followed by his mouth trying to speak, but the flood of emotion is too much; then with a great deal of effort he sheds his tears and finds composure enough to carry on. I have always admired this man. He fights the feeling, but when it is bigger than he can manage, he gently gives way to the feeling and adds his tears to the testimony of what he is trying, in words to convey. Of course the tears make a much bigger statement than ever the words can.
One is not a 'cry baby' when they are moved by the spirit to feel deeply something that touches them. On the contrary, it is a sign of much more than weakness. It is a sign the person has deeper instincts than would normally have been known. Men do not cry from weakness, rather, they cry from inner feelings that can only be expressed when the spirit forces the tears into their eyes. It is when that is seen, that I too have to find a kleenex to dab away my own tears. In fact, the Gentleman I discribed above, who fights the feeling, never beats me to the tears. I sence his struggle and feeling within me well up to meet his 'crisis'. Not because I feel he is weak, but because I realize just how much he is feeling, and how much it means to him to share it.
I feel sorry for those who find such moments time to snicker or chuckel over someone else fighting to contain their emotion. Not a thing to be chided for, but rather a moment to reflect on the things that have and are being shared. A time to look within and see if there is not something within that is touched and made better for the exerience. I guess what I am saying is when one spirit is so moved, another may pick up on the moment and gain much from it. No shame to cry, only a time to realize that something worth taking note of is happening. Don't let it slip away without examining it for its' worth. We never know when we have been a witness to the influence of an Angel touching someone with a special spiritual blessing. Think about it. When such a moment has overtaken you did you find a warmth and feeling of wonder of 'where did that come from?'. If not, you should look for those special moments and realize that you have either witnessed something very special, or had something very special happen to you, so - 'Go Ahead and Cry!"

Written this 5th day of July 2010
by: Eileen Rosenberg

No comments:

Post a Comment