Tuesday, April 9, 2013

Family History - My Family Connections

I don't suppose I gave much thought to who I was, or where I came from, but once I got 'turned on' to gathering information about these things, I found there were more questions than there were answers.
As I believe that 'Families are Forever', it was important that I dig out as much information as I could.  The more I learned, the more I discovered I had fewere answers than questions.  When I started it was labor intensive, and took longer to find information that it took to ask for it.  My relatives at the time were still living, and that was some help, but they were not able to give me all the information that I was need of.  I found that those from the UK were more interested in the money I sent, than giving me much new information.  They had to little to add what I had already gathered from those who were still living and able to answer questions here in the US.
I believe I have covered my Maternal Grandfathers leaving the family in other writings, so I won't go into that here.  Rather I would talk a little about my Dad's mother.  She dropped out of the picture after UK 1901 after returning with my Dad.  No trace has been available to me up until now.  I did learn that she may have received an annulment from her marriage to my Grandfather by giving my Dad up to his Paternal Grandmother.  This I have yet to prove, but have made available a Micro-film that may give me some
clue.  Here is hoping!
I didn't get to this point by accident, I came through a long line of people who lived and made 'my time on earth' possible.  Because I am aware of this blessing, it seems necessary for me to give them the place they deserve in my Family Records.  They are not just a name on a page in my book, but a very necessary part of my personal being.  I think once one has children, then grand children and now in my case great grand children, the truth of this key thought is brought into clear vision.
I am a first generation American from my Dad's family line.  My Mother was a mixture of French and Dutch Irish so far as I have discovered.  Where
I thought my line followed the Hall family, I have discovered she was from the Eaton line.  If that is true - I believe her line is entitled to be numbered among those who came over on the Mayflower.  I have proved she is the grand daughter of a Veteran of the Civil War.  That would be from her Maternal side of the family.  I have enough proof now to be included in the Daughters of the Civil War Veterans.  I visited their Headquarters in Springfield, Illinois in 2006 and needed one piece of proof, that I have since located.  I have the forms, but have not filled them out and sent them in at this time.  They have a group in Santa Barbara.  That is the closest I know of.  I met the President during my visit in Illinois.
All the girls of the family - on my Husband line are Daughters of the Utah
Pioneers.  I have the information for my grandson to be a Son of the Utah Pioneers.  However I have not been successful in finding out how to get him into that group.  Heritage is important.  The further away we get from the time and people who were valuable participants in a part of History the
more important I belive it comes to be connected.  It was those people who made the History of America wonderous and great.  We best remember them by, giving time and honor even today.
Since beginning gathering information on my Family in 1953, many changes have come forward.  We no longer have to depent on Regular Mail,
but we can e-mail.  There are a number of fabulour programs where we can store the information we have gathered.  We can change, update and share
that information with just a click.  We can add stories, pictures and if we are really adventurous, we can leave spoken words and moving pictures as well.  There seems to be no limit as to the way we can keep records today.
We can search and share 'on line'.  We can down load and scan.  We can
update and change.  We can learn and share.  The modern technology available makes doing Family History a 'piece of cake' for those who are
willing to take the time and trouble to look up and find just who they are.
If you haven't taken the time to learn, do so today.  Of course there is Ancestry.com, which is expensive, and there are no sure proof what one finds there is truly connected with your family.  Only truly checking the records and making sure the person is really connected is worth knowing.  The records are now available, and can be looked at on-line.  I encourage you to look at these and make sure your connections are justified.
www.lds.org now has Family Tree that is one way to check.  They also have the 'FAN' that will show just what is known about your family and where you need to start looking.  If you are just starting, you will need to begin with YOU and put everything you know into a program of your choice.  Now the 1940 Census is available on-line, you have a closer check than ever before.
Remember this was before the Second World War.  The thousands that were lost in one battle or another in that War should be on the 1940 Census.
Don't forget those who  may not have had the opportunity to have married and had their own families.  Every member of the Family has value and needs to be listed and remembered. 
I'm greatful for my Heritage.  I may have problems to solve, I may have questions that have not been answered, but that does not discourage me.  I am willing to exstend my research and find those who have been hard to locate and fit into their rightful place.  If you haven't started gathering the members of Family, please start by making a 'sure record' of you and your loved ones.  Putting your Family together, one generation at a time.  Add those pictures - tell those stories - source your records to prove you are truly part of the line you record.  Be excited and enjoy the journey of finding your own
Family History.  Where would you be without them?  You wouldn't be!
Today there are numerous ways to gather the information you seek.  Don't put off looking for it.  Take pride in your work.  Leave a trail easy to follow for those who come after you.  They are important to you as well.  Never
think it isn't important.  We without those who made 'our time on earth' possible are helpless.  They made it possible for us to be here, now it is our turn to make 'their time on earth' a record and show honor.  We are fortunate to have the avenues of research and storage available to us as never before possible.  Don't let the time pass you by saying: 'sometime I will try' - get with the thousands of others who have made the gathering of Family History the largest Hobby in this day and time.  You won't be sorry you did.  If you are enjoying your journey here on earth, learn about your ancestors journey and what they contributed to the History and Building of this Country.  Each life contributed in some way.  Even the 'black sheep' are of interest.  Today is the day - now is the hour - there are chances and means all around, grasp hold and run with them.  You will be surprised how much fun it is, and how rewarding!

Written this 9th day of April, 2013
by: Eileen Rosenberg

No comments:

Post a Comment