Tuesday, April 9, 2013

I Never Was In GAA

That's correct.  I never became a member of the Girls Atheletic Association.
Now don't think for one minute that I was not envolved in Sports.  I took my turn at everything offered in our regular Gym Classes, but I didn't spend my time playing sports after school.
Why?  Well I guess it was because I was always the smallest girl in our Class and was never chosen until the last one for any team.  There is no fun in that.  I enjoyed archery, but had more than one 'string burn' on my arm to tell I wasn't all that great at it.  I could hit the target, but it became too painful to keep at it for long.  At the time I was not aware I had a breathing problem that made running not the  most fun thing to do.  It seemed I could swim and teach swimming and diving far better, so I spent all my time in the pool at High School.  My talents were put to good use.
No, I never got a Sweater for my efforts, but that was not important to me at the time.  I loved the Sweaters.  White with the Orange and Grey Letter.  In
fact I never had a Sweater of any kind.  When I Graduated, we couldn't have Senior Sweaters because the yarn was still used for the Military, or was not yet available following the War.  What ever, I kind of missed out there as well.  Not that I find it harmed me in any way.  As I recall, I didn't care for the color they picked, and the Shield they picked , though available was not to my liking either, so I didn't spend the money for it.  Guess I was just not
that interested at the time.
Being active on Campus took other interests for me.  I was active in Student Body Activities.  I worked in the Accounting Office and was able to be active at all the 'at home games' by selling tickets.  That was pretty much my activity at some of the Dances as well.  I believe the Atheletic Activities
at any School is important.  I don't demean them in anyway.  It is just that I, personally, didn't find them part of my preference.  We had our
Gym Classes, I followed along with what was required, but never spent my extra time in anything but Swimming, and that was not part of GAA it seems. 
I was little, but I was very visible on Campus, and feel I left a mark that was of value to the School.  I enjoyed my High School years, and take a great deal of satisfaction that service takes many difference means to add to and enlarge the whole.  Mine just seemed to 'wet'.  Well that and being a Member of the Student Council.  Never being a member of GAA was not a
short fall in my case.  One I have never thought as a disadvantage.  Good for those who found joy in those pursuits.  I just didn't happen to be one of them.  I seem to have come out fine without it! 

A side note: when I graduated from Junior High and then High School my feet were so small I couldn't get High Heels like the other girls.  My foot was still Size 1.  The pretty shoes came in size 3 as Sample Shoes - ones
put into the window of the store.  I was out of school before I could wear that size.  I really thought I had arrived when I could wear a size 4.  Still
most of my shoes were available only when seasons changed and I could buy the Samples that had been in the Window.  Which wasn't all that bad.
They usually came at a greatly reduced price.  Meaning I could get at least 2 pair and some times 3 pair for the price of one.  Life wasn't all that bad!

Written this 9th day of April, 2013
by: Eileen Rosenberg

No comments:

Post a Comment