Monday, August 10, 2009

Me and the Girl Scouts

You know I never belonged to the Girl Scouts when I was a kid. I did, as I believe I have told you before, joined the Campfire Girls. It wasn't until Dawn was ready for the experience that I got envolved. Which, now that I look back on it, is an understatement. One doesn't just get envolved, one jumps in with both feet and does whatever it takes to keep a Troup of young girls busy, occupied and happy. The worst part was the dues. I hated collecting and keeping track of them.
I planned the meetings, the crafts and when the girls were old enough we did Camping. The girls were always so willing, but so unable to do much of the work of setting up camp, or packing up when it was over. They did have fun however, and made friends and learned some skills that I hope have served them well since.
We went through Brownies and Junior Scouts. I had some experience with the Senior Scouts, but not in the way of leadership. Thank goodness. When I was finished with the Troup business, I got suckered into Cookie Chairman and what a job that was. Getting the orders in and delivered to my house, then getting them to the various Troups for sale. I really don't think it was all that much fun, and I know the girls didn't get that much money for all the work that goes into that project, but then that is the way things are.
I was called on a number of times to be Day Camp Director, and found that was both hard work, but rewarding. I remember the Camp we set up in the Whittier Area that had hills full of Poison Oak. I had to contact the Boys School and have the young men come out and clean it all out before we could set up our Activities. It was a good Camp, and very successful for everyone envolved. The planning, gathering the staff and making sure everyone was there and things ran smoothly was pretty invigorating for me. I was happy, however, when it was over.
I was a Trainer for the Joshua Tree Council, and had a great deal of work when I did that. Again I found myself among a great many wonderful women who cared for the girls and were willing to expend their time and talents for the Program. There were meetings to attend, classes to prepare for and lessons to teach. The making of a good Girl Scout Leaders just doesn't happen. Someone has to take the time to get the information out into the field so the girls can benefit. I have always wondered why the Church didn't take up the Girl Scout Program for the girls like they had for the Young Men, but then that is not mine to wonder why. I also worked in the Camp Crafter Program in Young womens and directed camps for them, or participated, in one fashion or another.
I was called as a member of the Board of Directors for the Joshua Tree Council too. That was a real challenge. We had meetings way out in the Valley, and a great deal more travel was needed. We went everywhere. There were meeting in Wrightwood as well. We held a Camp up there one summer and it was pretty nice. I wasn't a leader then, I was just one of the Directors there to oversee how things went. The site was special. I remember when I was out on a hike with the girls I lost my footing and went on my backside down a steep hill. My butt was sore, but I think my pride was worse off than any body parts. I didn't know you could get from point one to point two in such a quick fashion. Just lucky I didn't break something. It would have
been a chore getting me up from where I landed. After some time, I was able to drag myself back up to the top and carry on with the days activities.
I think the most dangerous thing I ever did while camping with the girls was to set up my area along the stream bed. The sound of the water was great to sleep next to. It wasn't until the next day I was told that was foolish. If there had of been a flash flood during the night, I would have gone down with the rest of the muck and mire. What was just a small stream could have been turned into a torrent of a river in a matter of seconds. I was careful to lay out my area more carefully after that.
I believe the most awful camping trip we ever took was with the last Troup I had. We went to Joshua Tree National Park. It normally is a great place in the Desert to camp and let the girls go hiking and learn some new skills. This was not the case this time. The wind blew until you couldn't even set at the table to eat. Everything had to be held down, or it was "gone with the wind". We put as many girls in the big tent as we could to help keep warm, but that wasn't a success. We nearly froze during the night. Finally, very early, I got everyone up and made hot chocolate while Camp was struck. No reason to stay longer. After we drank the Hot Chocolate, we loaded up and headed for the nearest town. I gave each of the girls a couple of dollars and we stopped at a resturant and had a hot breakfast and then headed home. I wasn't about to stand in that cold and try to cook something for them to eat. It would have been full of sand and cold before they could have raised a fork or spoon.
I learned a lot during these experiences. It took me from Pico River, to Whittier and into Bakersfield. There are always worthy volunteer work to be done, and it seems never enough dedicated folks to carry out all that has to be done. We are fortunate in the Church to have the many who take on the tasks of helping the youth of the Church learn and develope. I am however, just a greatful for the numbers of women who have dedicated their lives to keeping the Girl Scouts alive and well. I have met and worked with a great many who I would like to have had more time with.
I went to San Francisco with a group for a Conference. It was enriching and worth the time spent. I hate San Francisco, so that is saying a lot, coming from me. We walked, talked and I learned just what some women value who are not married or have children and yet will spend their time and energy helping girls who have no other means of learning skills or how to be a great person. This world is full of some pretty awesom folks. I feel quite priviledged to have rubbed elbows with some and got to know a number of others. If it weren't for such fine women, this world would be a much more colorless place. Beside a lot of girls who would never have the opportunity to grow and develope knowing how great the out of doors can ge. How great it is to sing those Camp Songs, or do the crafts that are such fun. The memories for both the Staff, Leaders and Girls is priceless, and I am happy to say, I played some small part in a number of girls lives. I can't recall names, I don't even remember faces, but I hope somewhere along the path, they learned something from me. I may never know here, but one day, as all teachers must, things will come to light that will show just how much we contributed to not only others lives, but just how much we took in return from those we have worked along side. Life has no resting places. It is full of adventure and interesting things. It is our job to seek out and utilize the talents we have been given. It is not what we take, but what we give that will make up the whole of our being. Looking back over it, I can honestly say, I have had a great life, one that has had both teaching and learning. For both are so very important.
Written this 10th day of August 2009
by: Eileen Rosenberg

No comments:

Post a Comment