Friday, May 14, 2010

How Annoying!

I have been having difficulty with a spiritual urging to get some geneological information. This has been going on for a few months now. I have tried to locate something, but have been left without the slightest encouragement. This has left me, pretty much, with the idea I should let it go and forget about it. After all these people are not related to me, and I, really have no reason to try to keep trying. Tell THAT to the "spirit".
Dreams can only add to the aggrevation with such things. Regression into past history when you have been made to feel so very special and loved, well, such things just move you closer to trying, just one more time! I tried last night - NOTHING! Do you hear me "spirit" NOTHING!
Then another night of being reminded of things. Waking this morning, I decided to forget it all together and get on with the things at hand, like last nights dishes still in the sink for instance. I take myself into the kitchen and without very much thought go through the task in such a short order, I was shocked - the drudgery was hardly even noticed, but the "spirit" was alive and well. I had a dozen ideas of how to move the work along. I could hardly wait to "fireup" the computer and give it one more try. I knew it would be fruitless, but, what the heck, I had to give it one more attempt.
One thing I had learned from last nights experience was, the Grand Daughter had attempted to find out something, and had entered all she knew, which was less than what I had. It was obvious her Mother had not kept the Fathers side of the family a part of the girls life, or she would have known so much more. I knew her parents had seperated and divorced, I assumed, when she was quite young. I knew the Grand Fathers name, the Grand Mothers maiden name, and the Fathers name. Best place to start was the 1930 Census. Leaving things "open" as to where to look, I had luck. The three came up in Long Beach, California. Ages and dates matched my memory. So I was a bit encouraged. Then I remembered the Great Grand Fathers name, but I could not remember his wifes name. It was obvious from what I learned from the 1930 census the family came from Missouri. That was my next attempt. Put the Grand Father in as a Son and try an earlier census with Missouri to see if I could have luck. It took a few tries, and I came up with a match. Wonderful! Where can I go from here. Well, I had learned that the Father and Grand Father were both only children. Do you begin to see some light?
Why should I be bothered locating "family information"? Wasn't there someone else with connections that could just as easily do this? Obviously the answer to that is NO! There is no one to carry on the family name, no one connected who has even the barest of information - which I had discovered when I put in the first information I had. I wasn't playing "tag" here but it is quite evident, "I was it"!
I will regress here for just a moment to put this information in. The last time I saw this girls Grand Father he was in a nursing home recovering I believe it was from a heart attack. (Really not certain, but I think that was it). I was visiting my Aunt Clara who was in the same place. She had had a stroke and was in a coma. I had gone with my Uncle Bill. He took Sees Candy in for her, which he fed her while we were there. They (Sees Candy) were her very favorite. I had Paul with me, he was around 2, maybe 3 years old. Of course he was busy, and wanted to walk around. I took him into the hall for a short walk. I looked into one of the rooms, and there was George. He was so happy to see me and asked if the little boy was mine. I laughed and said yes, busy little guy isn't he? George wanted to see him up close, so I took Paul into his room and sat him on his bed. George was so happy to see me and enjoyed visiting for a short time with Paul and I. Who was George? The father of the young man I had been engaged to before I met and married Jay. I do believe the relationship between myself and George mirrored the relationship I had with Jays' Dad. We loved each other in a very special way. He had never really gotten over the ending of my relationship with his son. Before I left the room he told me he thought his son had made the biggest mistake of his life when he let me get away. I would hardly say he
let me "get away". More like he "threw me away". (Another story - not for now, however.)
Well - back to this story - I put the new information into a Family History and was able to find enough on the family to feel rewarded, "finally". The Mother and Grand Mother were being a bit more troublesome. With eliminating some information for the Census research, I finally broke through and found them too. What started out with a thorny "3" is now up to almost 200 names. If the Grand daughter should go on line now, she will be surprised to find her family - on her Fathers side, pretty well documented from research material I found on line.
To fill in some of the blanks, the Grand daughter turns out to be 19 days younger than Dawn. The Father, Grand father, Grand mother have all passed away. I am finally feeling some relief from all this "bugging" that has been going on. I haven't sat at this computer once in the past months I have wanted to do much on any of my family lines. Work a few minutes and then shut down and walk away. The "spirit" has not allowed me to do anything like I usually do. This seems to have been what has been needed. Maybe now that I have started this flow, it will continue with someone in the family, who, I have no idea, but I am satisfied that when I clean up the remaining items, I can leave it and get on with my own work.
Being a Missionary in Family History, I am well aware of how the "spirit" works. These people are anxious to have their work done and it is by no means weird that they will go to any lengths necessary to see it is completed. George knew how much I loved him and remembered so many great times we enjoyed. There is no question he would "bug" me to get this "brought about". The reason I was so long at reaching the conclusions I have is because I was not "listening" to the promptings before. Doing the dishes, I was able to take the suggestions and do what I needed to. It has been a most exciting journey for me. Another witness that this work is vital and the Gospel that has brought it forward is TRUE. We never get too old to learn, and be of service. What a wonderful day I have had. It has been one great excitement after another to locate people who need to be remembered in a very special way. We had crossed paths, had some time to appreciate each other and leave lasting impressions that have served us well. George, you are still loved and remembered by that 17 year old girl who might have been your Daughter-in-law, but the LORD had other important plans for me, ones that I am most greatful for. It brought the knowledge and technology I needed to help you. Amazing isn't it?!

Written this 14th day of May 2010
by: Eileen C. Rosenberg

No comments:

Post a Comment