Wednesday, June 9, 2010

What a word!

I am truly surprised at some of things I discover as I read, or work on my 'word puzzles'. Take for instance the word 'level'. I just noticed that it is the same spelt forward or backwards. The meaning becomes even more meaningful when you think about it! Then I came across the word 'radar' another that spells the same one way or the other, and the meaning is just as amazing. It 'sees every which a way'! Seeking out things as it passes over the surface.
Two words that mean a great deal in our lives everyday nearly, Mom and Dad. I am sure there are any number of other words I will discover now that I am looking for them. Language is so important in our lives, and like so many things we have, we pay little attention to it. Learning to talk is such a fun thing for parents when they have their first child. After that it is pretty much the work passed over to the siblings in the house. We are always amazed at how the kids 'understand' each other when they are little.
I am greatful for being able to read and write, but have to admit, it is not something I have given a great deal of thought to until I started noticing these 'amazing' things lately. Expressing ones self is a really great gift, and one we should take a little more time to appreciate I suspect. We are so thrilled with the children as they learn to express themselves and even when their words are a bit different than what we would use, we are pleased to see them put sentences together. We need to take a keener look at such things I think. What a waste to have such wonderful moments come and slip away without really appreciating the wonder that is taking place right before our eyes and ears too.
Well, purhaps I have sparked some interest in you to start 'looking' for those great things that are around and not miss the wonder of life as it passes us by. When I was a kid they had a Saturday Short at the Movies called: "The Passing Parade". I use to love those, sort of newsreels. I just did not realize that such things were happening around me everyday, and I was 'shining them on'. What's in a word? More than we can guess I would imagine.

Written this 9th day of June 2010
by: Eileen Rosenberg

No comments:

Post a Comment