Monday, January 12, 2009

How I Got into the Swim of Things!

When we moved from 55th Street to 2914 Belgrave Avenue in
Huntington Park, California it was a blessing. Not only that we
had more room for the family, but that we lived right across the
Street from Huntington Park High School. There were Tennis
Courts, the Track and Football Field, Basketball Gym and the
Plunge. Yes the High School had an Indoor Pool.
Ralph was the first to have taken advantage of it because he
was in High School when we moved from the East. Ron and I
had not had the advantage - that is until now. Ron was always
the Basketball Player of the family. Ralph and I were the
swimmers.
The Pool was open every summer and we took full advantage
of the facility. I was only 8 years old when we moved there,
but I loved going and soon learned to swim. I admit my first
days were hanging on to the side of the pool, but before long
I went from dog paddle to swim head held high and finally
doing the Australian Crawl with the best of them. From there
I got brave enough to take on the deep end of the pool and
finally to jump then dive off the spring board. My bravery never
advanced enough to get on the high diving board however.
I knew enough that I was able to assist others in learning how
to dive from the side of the pool and the spring board.
I took advantage of all the YMCA classes and advanced in
their swimming program that was held at the Pool. This took
me into the Life Saving program. I passed all of those as
well and was hired by the Summer Program as a Life Guard
when I was a Sophmore and Junior; then by the Night School
in my Senior year teaching swimming to those who needed
my help. I remember teaching a lady, I believe she was in
her 70's who wanted to learn to swim before she died. She
had such a fear of the water. Getting her face in it was such
a trial. I worked with her for some time, but just couldn't
seem to help her. One night I asked her where she felt the
very safest. She said in her bed. I asked her to take a
large bowl of water and place it on her night stand, set on
her bed and put her face in it. She did this for a number of
nights and when she came to the pool she was able to do
it without much stress. With practice, she was swimming
in no time.
How I loved my time there in the Pool. The other Life Guards
were great friends, and we had the Pool all to ourselves in
between the various Groups. I guess the hardest time
was when the Boys were allowed the Pool to themselves.
Keeping them from running and jumping on their friends was
the biggest problem we had. I remember having trouble with
a certain guy who was just a bit bigger than I was - which is
not saying much, as I was usually the smallest one on the
side lines. He became so troublesome I had to throw him
out. He was a bit difficult to handle. By the time I got him
to the door to the Mens Locker Room he began to push me
which was not the smartest thing to do. I have a very short
and quick temper. I have learned to control it a lot better
than I did back then. He pushed me just once to many times
and I socked him. Fortunately for me he had a glass jaw.
He fell like a ton of bricks and his friends had to carry him
out. I became somewhat of a meany from then on out, but
I found it kept me from having trouble with any of them from
then on. Thank Goodness for "glass jaws".
I also was a Life Guard during my PE classes in my Junior
and Senior Years. I usually was assigned the deep end
and a diving class. One such day, I was working with a
group of girls when spashing at the shallow end got my full
attention. I heard the teacher yell at her class and I took
off at about the same time another Guard from the other
side of the pool. I hit the water and came up at full speed
I got to the girl first and reached down and pulled her up
for air. She was not breathing by then. I helped the other
life guard and the teacher get her with those on the side
who pulled her out of the water. I got out and gave her
"artifical resperation" (the old fashion way). She came
around finally. An Ambulence was called and she was
taken to the hospital. She was fine after a check up in
Emergency. When she returned to school I asked her
why she hadn't put her feet down. She was in 4 feet of
water and she was well over 5 feet 6 inches tall. Her reply
was she got scared. How sad it would have been if she
had of drowned in "shallow water".
I think the greatest feeling I had while a life guard was
when the oldest guard Chloe brough her swim finns I
had never seen them before. She allowed me to wear
them when she wasn't and they sent me through the
water faster than I had ever gone before. I loved it.
I will always cherish the time I spent there in the old
HP Plunge. Great experience, fun and lots of friends.
I suppose I will always be remembered for the deep
tan I had and that yellow bathing suit. Made quite a
show setting on the sidelines with a towel over my
shoulders. Those were the "good old days".
written this 12 day of January 2009

No comments:

Post a Comment