Friday, January 2, 2009

You didn't ask, but it crossed my mind

My Second Mission in Salt Lake City, Utah - Crowned with a Sleigh Ride! You know after Jay passed away I had to decide what I would do with my time. I was asked if I would return to Ordinance Work in the Los Angeles Temple, but I felt if I were to spend that much money, I could put a little more with it and go on a full time Mission. Apparently the Lord felt that was the best thing for me to do because from the time I picked up my papers from Bishop Kunz things moved as if I was jet propelled. On Wednesday I had an appointment with my Doctor for a routine check up. I took the Medical Papers along, and they took care of the things the Church required. I got my TB scratch test and was told with my allergies it was not wise to take all the shots that were listed on the forms. As it turned out, I didn't need them anyway as I was staying in the Country. The next week I discovered I had an appointment to have my routine Prophy (teeth cleaning) so I took the Dental Papers with me and they said they could do all the necessary things while I was in the office. The Dentist would come in and check me and the Tect. could take the X-ray list that was required. So in about 10 days everything I needed was ready
to be turned back over to the Bishop. All I needed was my interview with the Stake President and that was set up for the following Sunday. I had dreams of going so many places and learning so much, but the Lord already had a place in mind. It appeared I was needed back in the Mission.

Jay and I had served in from November 1991 till the end of October 1992. When my letter came it said: Report on September 4th, 2003 to Salt Lake City and the Church and Family History Mission. I was disappointed because I had "been there and done that". Where the Lord calls we go. I had plenty of time to get my things together. Having been there I knew what I would need. Paul thought I was going over board with all I gathered together, but I knew, or thought I knew, only I didn't. Instead of twelve months, I was to be extended from Sept. 4, 2003 until March 26, 2006. People say you can't leave your home and Grand Children - that isn't so. I had a new Great Grand Daughter born the 20th of August 2003 I had to say good by to. The Lord was mindful and had me welcomed home by a new Great Grand Son born just before I returned home. When I reported to the Mission I had two weeks training to get me ready for
the work I would do. I had a chance of doing so many things. All the while I was hoping I would get a neat and different assignment. Alas and alac it was not to be. I was put back in the Indexing Department. Now it was called "Records Processing". Before I left it was renamed "Indexing". Go figure. While I was there, I processed over 70 Million names. I had not lost my touch with the computer. I was able to do more, faster than many of the other Senior Missionaries in the Department. It is true you make Eternal Friends on a Mission. It is important to do things with them and share what little you have with each other. There are many Widows in the Mission, so we had opportunities to do a lot of different things. Our rules were we had every evening and week-end and were allowed to journey up to 60 miles from the Center of the Mission Field. There were plays and musical productions to see and enjoy. Temple Square was always busy and the Conference Center was the center of many grand productions as well. The Theatre in the Conference Center likewise held a number of programs that we were able to attend. As our Apartment Complex was just across the street, we could walk. We had our Ward right across the Street as well. I was called to do the Sacrament Meeting Programs and that became a source of many hours of fun putting it together. The Branch President didn't think anyone could do the job as well as I did, but when I visited later, the Sister that took over had learned enough to be able to do a great job. We never bought Program Covers - the Branch did not have the budget for that. I designed the covers each week and they were after the Lesson for Sunday School. I learned the Ensign magazine had many lovely pictures about the lessons, so I used them and picked a scripture from the lesson that went with the picture. One week our Branch President was released after about 7 years of service. I was able to do a lovely cover with he and his wife on it. It was a wonderful tribute for the time he and his wife had served the Missionaries. You see the Branch President was not a Missionary and his wife served as Relief Society President with their counselors called from the field of Missionarey Couples. Just before I left I research the Stained Glass Window that was in the Stake Center where we attended Church. It was a fascinating history. I wrote the story and put it as an incert in the Program with the picture of the Window on the cover. It was special to all the Missionaries. One of the Sisters from Canada told me she had saved every Program because they were so good. I guess that was compliment enough for the work I put into the Call.
There were a number of Sisters who loved doing Ordinances at the Temple. I had my car, so we would go every Saturday and two Sessions. It got to be a full day with that and doing our shopping. We decided we would be better off doing our Temple Work on Wednesdays and change Temples. We went to Jordon River Temple on Saturdays, but changed to Bountiful on
Wednesday nights. We still did two Sessions, but with doing the 4:30 p.m. and the 6:30 P.M. we would be home and in bed at about the same time as the other nights of the week, and then we had time to do our shopping and laundry - if we got down there early enough on Saturday. Sister Rohde and I set a goal of 100 Endowments a year while we were there. We made
it. I was able to do 200 Endowments and 400 Baptisms for Sister Kildahl. My Mission I believe was a success in many ways. Now for the Biggest Thrill. I spent three Christmas Holidays in Salt Lake City. It was the last one that gave me the opportunity to do something I had always
wanted to do - Go on a Winter Sleigh Ride. I talked to Sister Thomas about going, and she thought it was a great idea. She researched it and found the "Rocky Mountain Sleigh Company" in Park City. (We didn't give thought on how far it was up there - but it turned out we were within the Mission area). There information says: "A winter dream comes true" and did it ever. What a ride and well, you will see. Sisters Fults, Thomas, Whitehead, Neish, Myself, Adrien Peltz
and the Asst. Zone Leaders from our Dept. Elder and Sister Gerald; got in a Van and drove up to Park City. We thought we knew which of the Ranches it was, but when we got there, we were wrong. When we found the right one there were two tents near the gates. One was where we got our blankets for the ride, the other was where they had hot drinks and finger food for us to enjoy until everyone in the party had arrived. They had two sleighs going the night we went. They were rather rustic - as you can see in the picture - but it was FUN. Everyone was warmed by the hot cider and hot chocolate. That soon wore off when we climbed aboard. All the heavy
clothes and blankets were no match for the chill that was in the air. The horses were BIG and the driver told us these trips they made with a sleigh loaded with people was their winter training for the Tractor Pulls they would be doing in the Spring. It was wonderful riding along, the snow was hardly marked, except where the Sleigh was pulled through it. The moon came out and the stars were just breath taking. We asked about where we were and the driver told us Wyoming was just over the hill ahead of us. That was when we worried about being within the Mission limits. When we came to the end of the ride, we pulled up to the Ranch House. It was aglow with lights and smoke was curling up from the chimney. When we stepped inside, you
could smell the food, and the fire. The tables were covered with red and white checked table clothes and there were lights and greenery everywhere and of course and Christmas Tree. The
food had been cooked in dutch ovens and was fabulous. The girls that were serving were the same ones that had been in the tent earlier. They had everything set out. You could take as much as you wanted and go back as often as you felt like you could still eat. The surprise was they had a gentleman who played the guitar and sang along with telling the greatest stories. It was well worth the price. Expensive, yes, but money well spent. When we finished we climbed back in the Van and headed back to our homes. Checking the mileage all the way to make sure we didn't have to report to the Mission Pres. that we had wondered beyond our limits. When we pulled into the Apartment Parking Lot, we were right at 60 miles. Would we do it again? In a heart beat. The beauty of the area, the snow the ride, well it isn't an everyday occurance, but it was everything that I had hoped it could be. The dinner was the added part that made us feel like we had been taken back into a time when life was much slower and less hectic. It might have been harder, but the simple things ment more, and the beauty of the earth was enjoyed to the fullest. "How Wonderous and Great" had a whole new meaning.
Written 2 January 2009 by Eileen C. Rosenberg - the Rambling Rose

No comments:

Post a Comment