Friday, June 12, 2009

Then There Were the Graduations

This time of year has brought my thoughts around to ending one part of life, and beginning another. Never thought about it before, but we do have more than one Graduation. When I was young it was just three. Grammar School, Junior High School and High School - well if you went on the there would be College and that could add one, two and maybe even more. Today there is Graduations from Pre-School, Kindergarten, well you see what I mean. Times change. I prefer to take a look at what I experienced. Traumatic as it was, I guess I learned something!

When we moved to California I went back into First Grade. When I started School in Pennsylvania, I started the First Grade at age 5. That may have been when I started my learning problems? Anyway, they put me in the First Grade, and it was so much different than when I had entered the class room in the East. I had learned so much prior to starting here in California. I may have shut down, and by the time I started up again, I was behind. Who knows? Pacific Blvd Grammar School went to the 6th Grade. Ronald was just three years ahead of me, so we went to the same school. When he graduated, I didn't pay that much attention. When I passed the 6th grade we had a class picture taken. I think there was some kind of a small ceremony when we got our report cards. I just remember how excited I was to be able to go to Gage Avenue Junior High School. It would be a new experience because two Grammar Schools would join in the 7th Grade. Miles Avenue Grammar School was from the "higher rent
district". There more of them than there were of the Pacific Blvd. class. They didn't mix well with us at first. It took awhile before we "fit in". This was my first experience with Graduating.
A new place, new people, new responsibilities - well a whole new life really. The School was much closer to where we lived, so the walk wasn't as far. The hardest part was walking past the High School. The first day was the worst. The Freshman entering High School were being tagged by "upper classman" so they had to pass it on by heckling the 7th Graders going to Gage Avenue. We got use to it, and believe me it made the change from Junior High to High School a lot easier. By then we had hardened enough to just look past it.
Junior High was a time for becoming more responsible. We changed classes. Had a number of new teachers instead of one, and subjects that would mean more home work, tests and reports to be turned in. In other words my mind was more concerned with what was ahead than what any "jerk" yelled as I passed by on my way to School.
The two years in Junior High was time for me to learn how to pace myself. It was a time to get down to the knitty gritty of keeping track of what was needed when and to whom I had to get it.
Throw in a major War and you have a very interesting time. We didn't have to change for PE, for which I was greatful. Our time on the playing field was Co-educational, meaning the boys and girls played the games together. Kick Ball was one of the games we played. It was while playing one day the ball was kicked to me. Unfortunately it jammed the little finger on my left hand and broke my finger. I hurt a lot, but I didn't go to the Nurse. Finally I complained to the teacher and they called Mom and she came down and took me to the Doctor. The next day I returned to school with my finger in a splint. Greatful it was my left hand. At least all I missed was PE for a few weeks. I could do all the rest of my work.
We had councilors from the High School come down and talk to us when we were about finished with our two years at Gage Avenue. I had already made up my mind what I wanted to do, so it was not hard for me. I had no interest in going to College, even though Mom and Dad had hoped I would go. Neither Ralph or Ronald were interested. They had picked the vocation long in advance just as I had. They trained as Printers. I always wanted to work in an Office. I have mentioned Graduation from Gage before, so I won't get into it again.
High School. We wore "beanies". I don't think they were really necessary to tell we were Freshman. Our weak kneed attitude was a dead give away. The High School Campus was huge.
The 1933 earthquake had destroyed a number of the buildings, so there had been a number of "bungalow's" brought on campus. These housed the Music and Art classes. The Manval Arts building had the wood shop, auto shop and print shop plus the School Boiler Room that heated the school. There was a two story building that housed the typing classes, science classes and
the Library. Another two story building that housed the math, calculus, and language classes.
The Cafeteria was a one story building. The administration building had some history, bookkeeping and business machine classes and the Accounting Office, where I spent a good deal of time while I was there. The Gymnasium and Plunge/Pool with all the dressing and shower rooms were across the street with the Tennis Courts, Football Field and other fields behind it.
As I said it was a large campus.
The classes were not scheduled a list of what was offered was posted. Each student would pick what class they wanted for which period of the day and which teacher they wanted for each class. Once you had that all decided, it was up to you to get into that particular class. You had to
"run for it". Best to get there early, and get the most important classes signed up for fast. I think those days were as hectic for the teachers as they were for the students. He or she had to have their books open for each class they taught each day. When any book got filled, he or she would have to post on their door their closed classes. That would mean any student that wanted the class had to re define what classes had to be changed to get into another class teaching that subject. I could drive you mad. At the end of the first day any classes that were not signed off on your list had to be taken to the attendance office where they would remake your schedule. Ralph and Ronald had to go through this every year they were at HPHS. I only had to do it for
two years. After that they School decided it would be better to fill out schedules according to the needs of the Student. If there were problems, then they would adjust them. It was harder on those wanting to fill College requirements than someone like me who had picked a Business Career.
That final year was pretty fun. As I said I only had to go to school half a day. When the Senior activities came up, I was able to attend most of them. I had been in a relationship since my Sophomore year which had ended when I was in the last of my Junior Year. It was bad because I wasn't able to attend with someone. I had to "stag" every activity. Well, maybe it was just as well!
That last day - what a feeling. I had gone to my locker and cleaned everything out. I stood there looking at that locker and wondering what lay ahead. The War was still going on. My brothers were still in the thick of things. I rarely saw my Dad. He went to work before the sun came up and some times he came home after I had gone to bed. War work was demanding on the Aircraft Industry. I walked around the Campus and wondered what life would be like without being part of this environment? Strange how while one door is closing behind you, you can't quite get a grip on what is behind the one that is just opening before you. The rest of my life was out there.

Well I have lived the rest of that life, or I am in the closing days of it anyway. How did it turn out? Pretty good! I met my "soul mate". Had a family who had family who has had a family.
I believe that figures out to my being a Great Grand Mother at this writing. Haven't done to bad. I can still set up and take nourishment, drive my own car, cook my own meals and pay my own bills. At 80 that is doing pretty darn good I would say. Just remember no matter what time of life you are in, no matter how vague things may seem that lie ahead, the "best" still is out there. All we have to do is take each day, one day at a time, and make the very best of it we can.
Our happiness doesn't lie in what someone else can do for us, but in what we can do ourselves. Life is neither boring nor lack lustre. Life is just what we make it everyday. Good or bad, we are the creators of it. What are you doing with yours?

Written this 12 day of June 2009
by: Eileen Rosenberg

No comments:

Post a Comment