Friday, April 23, 2010

Oh, your just old!

I wondered about that. Paul said his doctor told him not to think of himself that way. How do you not think of yourself 'like that"? Your "get up and go" just got up and went. Your eyesight is not as clear as once it was. Your knees, hips and ankles no longer want to do what they use to, and your energy level has fallen below the "refile" mark! No filling stations for that one. Your not in the "swing" of things. Life seems to pass you by. Friends are dropping off the scene of history, and opportunity isn't knocking at your door anymore.
Not "think" your old. Why that is like telling you not to worry that you can't "keep up" anymore.
Everyone seems to hit this level at some time along the road to "forever". I don't believe it is an absolute at 60 and maybe not even at 70, but when you hit that big 80 you had better start getting ready for the truth of the matter - old gal, you ARE OLD.
Now that is not to say you haven't anything left. Why I could keep up a great pace for at least 5 minutes anyway. But then, no one has been asking me to do even that lately. Life is what you make it. The old body may be wearing out and the energy levels may have pulled back a few hundred yards, but what the heck, life is still beautiful and this to: "came to pass".
How greatful I am that I have made it this far. Why I have lived through a number of near misses and kept plugging along - birthdays are not all that terrible. Somewhere I heard that I could live forever and that is the aim or my goal right now. I read where there are a number of folks making it to 100. I don't think I would care to go that far. I am happy to take what I am given and realize that everyday is a gift that allows me to do "something". It may not be great, but it is an accomplishment at my age. After all, no one said I had to be "outstanding" at this age now did they?
Well, I may be "growing" older, I may even have reached the level of "being old", but I downright refuse to believe that means I am ready for the shelf. No boring setting around and doing nothing for me. I hope to keep pushing the limit, even if it is closer to me than once it was. There are no requirements I have found that says giving it your best won't do even at my age.
Now I do have to admit that my best may fall way short of what it once was, but hey, I feel everyday is a blessing. Keep moving and don't waste time on what was. The best is yet to come.
If anyone asks you, remember I told you - it is worth it, and I wouldn't care to fall short of the goal I have set for myself, even at this "ripe old age".

Written this 23rd 2010
by: Eileen C. Rosenberg

No comments:

Post a Comment