Saturday, April 10, 2010

The Yellow Pickup Truck

Funny how things come back into ones mind at the oddest moments. I saw an old Pickup Truck like the one Jay bought all those years ago and remembered how thrilled he was to finally have one of his own. I remember him agonizing over buying it, and then over what color he should pick. I always liked it because it was the color of butter. When he finally decided he could afford to purchase the truck, he could hardly wait for the delivery. When it came in, he just had to go and pick it up, even when it was late in the evening. I remember driving with him from our home in Pico Rivera, Ca. to Bell where he had bought it from Sopp's Chevrolet Dealership. What a thrill for him. What a relief for me, I finally had a car to use, when ever I needed it. Jay at the time, was working nights and a second car was a real must.
Well I guess I wasn't really that bad off, as I recall Jay had picked up an old Studebaker for a great price and was using it, until some lady had a black out while driving on our street and totaled it in front of our house. Then he got his Dad's old Mercury which he drove for quiet a while after that. I believe Afton took the Mercury after we didn't need it. So much for cars, etc.
The yellow truck was just the beginning of Jays adventure for the family. Little did I know that he had bigger ideas he was working on. He was looking for a boat as well. One night he came driving up with the G-3 hooked on the back of that yellow pickup, and then added the Camper
Shell shortly after. That of course ment that he had to replace the back window so it was a crawl
through into the camper shell.
Those last two additions made for some wonderful family fun for all of us. Just to think it all started with that Yellow Pickup Truck! Amazing!! What a sweet memory.

Written this 10th day of April 2010
by: Eileen C. Rosenberg

No comments:

Post a Comment