Sunday, April 25, 2010

This Morning I Was Reminded!

One of my usual things for Sunday Morning is turning on the TV at 8:30 am and enjoying the Mormon Tabernacle Choir and the Spoken Word. When I was on my Mission I use to walk over to the Tabernacle to attend the broadcast when the weather was good. Of course it was always on TV there as well. Rather an uplifting way to start the Sabbath.
Well, this morning as one of their numbers they sang: "The Sound of Music". What a flood of memories that brought back to my mind. Oh, I had taken the kids to see the Movie when it first came out, all those many years ago, but that wasn't what sturred the memories. No, it was something even more moving than that.
Jay and I served in the Family History Mission from Novemeber 1991 thru October 1992. The usual custom in the Mission is to have a "Thank You" luncheon just before the Missionaries who have completed their service are to leave. I had the pleasure of being in the Elijah Choir of the Mission while I was there, and on occasion had been asked to render a solo for the morning devotional. The most requested had been: "Oh, My Father". However as the program for our Farewell Luncheon was being planned, I was asked to sing: "The Sound of Music". I found the sheet music, got copies for myself and the pianist and we set up a schedule for practice. Most of these were done in the Chapel of the Church Office Building. It had never crossed my mind where the luncheon would be held, and practicing this moving song in a Chapel setting was not all the emotional. When the reality of the setting was brought into full focus, it was nearly overwhelming.
The day arrived. We put on our best "bib and tucker" and made our way to the 26th floor of the Church Office Building. I know this writting will not be able to convey the view one gets at that height in Salt Lake City, but trust me it is breath taking to say the least. It is late in October and the "hills" which are really mountains were covered with snow. Even on the 26th floor the size and scope of the view was a knock out. Being busy with the affairs of the luncheon, I was not able to really evaluate what was really before us, that all changed when it came time for me to "perform". As I walked to the piano with my Sister Missionary along side, I was struck with the amazing view I was standing before. The Audience was lost in the scope of the view through those hugh windows. I swallowed hard and prepared to do my very best. Somehow, I got through the song, and realized I had been more expressive and envolved than I had been at any other time. The room was filled with the Spirit and there were tears all around.
I remembered that this morning when I heard the Choir singing the song, and realized they could not see the "hills" around them, but they are there, and certainly are brought to mind. In Salt Lake no matter which direction you look, there they are. With the Choir and all the other programs that are performed in the Valley, certainly it can be said: "those hills are alive with the sound of music." For one brief, and rather stirring few moments, I was blessed to add my voice to the thousands that have reached to the skies to pay loving respect to that special place.
I am quick to say: "you have never experienced Christmas until you have one in Salt Lake City".
I can just a easily say: "you have never experienced the beauty of that song until you have sung it or heard it on the 26th floor of the Church Office Building in full view of those Mountains, snow capped or not".
What a great blessing to have been given that assignment on that special day, and how greatful I am for being able to hold the emotion to follow through on the request. One of those moments not often brought to mind, but when it is, what a thrill it brings to mind. The moment is gone, but the "melody" lingers on.

Written this 25 day of April 2010
by: Eileen C. Rosenberg

No comments:

Post a Comment