Saturday, August 21, 2010

Did You Say Laugh? HicUp!

That was a fore gone. Get Jay to laugh hard and he would always get the 'hicups'. What would bring it on the quickest of course was to grab one of his knees. I have no idea why that was, but it became one of the great challenges between Jay and his daughter Dawn.
How many times I heard: "Charmaine, make her stop" (laugh, hicup!)
The two of them would struggle - Jay trying to keep his knee or knees out of her grasp and she trying to get beyond his grasp. For a long time his arms were long enough to help, but it wasn't any time until Dawn was able to get past the arms to gain access to one of Jays' knees.
Those two seemed to always find a way to torment each other, in a playful way. I generally ended up between the one who was teasing and the one being teased. They both had been endowed with the Rosenberg Tease Gene it seemed.
You had to have a strong hold on your control capabilities when you were around any of the Rosenbergs'. The whole family were at their greatest heights when they could tease someone. If they got the goat of their target, they were only more determined to continue teasing. I soon learned after marrying Jay, I couldn't give into their torment. I think the one that I aggrevated the most was Uncle Angus. He had a none stop tease. When I learned he hated to be 'bested', I turned it back, and he would stop, grunt, and walk away. We became great friends, but the tease was no longer fun, so he never bothered me after his first defeat. I could carry on with Uncle Harvey for hours, he was such a 'dear'. Love him still to this day!
I have never known anyone else who was subject to hicups from laughing. Probably just as well. It is such a tender memory of such a loving person. Jay was slow to anger, but when he did get mad, look out. The rest of the time he was a gentle giant. Laughter, Hicups and all!

Written this 21st day of August 2010
by Eileen Rosenberg

No comments:

Post a Comment