Monday, August 30, 2010

I Can't Dance, Don't Ask Me!

That is what he would tell you if you asked. I believe I have told you, already, that Jay had no rythum. Along with the fact that he lacked a great deal of confidence when it came to any talent he might have. So when it came to dancing, he was quick to opt out. That was really sad for me because I was a dancer from away back. Bless his heart, he did try when we were places that not dancing was pretty noticeable. I remember the first time he took me to such a place. It was painful for him, but he did try to put 'his best foot forward'. Not that we danced all that long, but he did give it a great 'try'.
It wasn't until we moved to Taft and met some new people, and you know at this point in time, I can't remember just how we got acquainted? Well, enough to say we did get acquainted and they were big on Square Dancing. The trick with that is you follow the 'caller'. Jay could do that, so we became envolved in a Square Dance club called the 'Derek Squares'. Well, what would you expect from Taft?
We belonged to that Club for quite a long while. I made Jay western shirts and my dress out of the same material. We were pretty snappy looking, even if I do say so myself. I don't know just how much Jay enjoyed it, but he did get to be pretty fair at it. He was always happy when some other fella would ask me to join a Square and let him set out and watch. We did a lot of traveling with that Club. It was fun, at least as long as it lasted. I don't remember just why we quit. That was long enough ago that it isn't all that important.
This is just another of those things I remembered about Jay that I thought might be of interest to the family. He had such a wonderful sence of humor once he got past his shyness. Most people felt he was a bit conceited when they first met him, but it was just his reluctance to be in unfamiliar company that made him seem that way. Once he got to know a person, his personality would blossom, and in most instances a great friendship would develope.

Written this 30th day of August 2010
by: Eileen Rosenberg

No comments:

Post a Comment