Thursday, December 3, 2009

Catch Your Star and Enjoy the Journey

Coming toward the end of the year I suppose most people are thinking of "resolutions" I never do that. I just keep plodding along and make the most of what is presented to me on a day to day basis. If I were to leave any advise it would be to "catch your own star", hang on and "enjoy the journey". Life can be all "you can make of it", not what society sets up as a way to live. I guess I took very seriously the addage my Mother set for me: "your clean and paid for". What more can anyone ask?
Of course when I was small, nobody was very well off, but then, we didn't realize that. We had a roof over our head and food on the table and clothes to cover us. I don't recall ever being cold in our home, or hungry, except just before we sat down to eat. I may not have liked everything that was on the table, but there was always bread and butter and of course p-nut butter and jam or jelly.
When we put too much into what others have and think too little of what we have, we lose sight of why we are really here. We don't need to pass everyone around us, we just need to keep moving and hopefully in the right direction. There are times we think our parents "don't understand". That is because we forget they had to pass this way once themselves. They had their "demons" to overcome, in their own time and in their own way. Along that way they had picked up some pretty valuable "smarts". If they say "no", they usually have a darn good reason for saying it. The fact we "don't want to hear it" has very little to do with what should be done!
So many bumps and bruises have been experienced by those older than us, we need to look at what they may "really know" as compared to what our narrow understanding of "what" is "really what".
I will admit I had a stubburn streak and bullheaded at times, but I was so greatful for a Dad who could point me in the right direction - even when I went grumbbling away from his advise. I never regretted taking it once I got a little way along the "road of life".
You know, we didn't come here to fail. We came here to learn, advance, enjoy and be happy. Now it only depends on how much time we spend working to that end instead of fighting against the tide. It isn't hard to find happiness around us. We just need to look for it. It is not always like the sunshine that we can see or feel. I guess what I am saying is: "life is what YOU make it".
No one can make us happy, we have to "be happy". It comes from within, not from without.
I guess it is like the two little boys who are in a room full of manure. One just sets down and cries, while the other little boy starts digging with excitement sure there has to be a pony in the room. Kind of a drastic picture to imagine, but it certainly brings the point into view. We can't just set down and wait for something to happen, we have to be actively engaged in making good things happen around us. Like the girl who is always smiling, making everyone else wonder what she knows that they have missed?
I learned some time ago to reply to a request to do something with "I'd be happy to". It makes me feel good, and it sure makes the one asking feel lifted because of such a positive reply. I may not always be "happy to", but I start out with that thought, and find in the end, it was O.K. I think the Hymn that asks us to: "brighten the corner where you are", has a great suggestion for life. Another one says: "there is sunshine in my soul today". It won't be there if we are not looking for or putting it there. I learned in Scouts it takes more nerves in your face to frown than to smile.
I suggest you "be happy" because You Are A Child of GOD. If: "life gets dark and dreary, don't forge to pray"! And remember - no matter where I am, I Love You!

Written the 3 day of December 2009
by: Grandma Rosenberg

No comments:

Post a Comment