Wednesday, December 9, 2009

What's with the "head" bit?

You know for the life of me I haven't a clue. However, it seems to fit in very effectively with my Missions. So here is how that all goes: Jay and I were called to serve in the Family History Mission, only it was'nt concidered a Mission back in 1991-1992. We arrived to start work in November of 1991. It was a cold day, we were fortunate enough to have friends help us move to Salt Lake City. Jay was quite ill so he was left with Joyce Favor while the rest of us got the things moved into our Apartment. When we had things moved in, and a bed made for Jay, we brought him over and he went to bed for the rest of the day.
With that behind us, we settled into being oriented and given an assignment in the Indexing Dept. of the Mission. We worked on the 1881 British Census. I had a part time job of working on a small portion of the 1851 Census. Time went by quickly. We were into the Holiday Season, which is the most delightful experience we had ever had. Everything is decorated in Salt Lake City. You haven't really enjoyed Christmas if you haven't spent some time in Salt Lake City between Thanksgiving and the New Year. (Sorry it is taking me so long to get to the topic at hand, but can't help bringing in all the flavor of the time we I am talking about.)
Our Christmas party was not planned until after the first of the year. That was due to the amount of things that go on in the Church Office Building. So we missed that excitement at that time. On the Second of January Jay and I reported to work on the evening shift. There were few computers, so they decided to work two shifts so the maximum use could be accomplished, thus the work could move along better. We went to work at 11 a.m. and got off work at 7 p.m.
It wasn't bad working those hours, but we did still have to get up every morning and go to Devotional in the North Visitors Center on Temple Square. Helped with the laundry. The laundry room was usually easier to find space during the morning hours we were home. Anyway on the Second of January we got off work at 7 p.m. and went down to the garage to get our car to go home. Someone forgot to tell the cleaning people there were still Missionaries in the building and they had scrubbed the floor by the elevators so we had to use the stairs to go down to the garage. As fate would have it, this was the first day I wore a shoe with a higher heel. One of the heels got caught in a strip on the stairs, and my foot came out of the shoe. Of course I continue to walk, causing me to flip in the air and plunge down the remaining 9 steps to the cement landing below. I believe the only thing that saved me from a fatal injury was my "puffy jacket". As I was airborne, my jacket was gathered up around my neck and head which helped when the back of my head hit the solid surface of that landing. The Sister we took home every evening, who was behind me, said it sounded as if I had cracked my head open. As it happened I didn't. There was a fast rising bump about the size of a "twinky" however.
Security saw the whole thing on their cameras, and there was someone there in an instant. He kept asking me if I was O.K.? I could hardly hear him as my ears were ringing so loudly. In fact they still ring all the time. I couldn't focus my eyes and felt real dizzy. I was helped to the car and taken to the LDS Hospital where I was admitted into the ER. I seemed to hold things together pretty well until just before we entered the hospital then I felt faint. They held me for a little while until I was more stable. One of the nurses came into the room where we were waiting to see a Dr. and asked if I felt nauseous. I foolishly told her I did. She came in with a shot, which I was unfortunately allergic to. Pretty nearly shut down my breathing, but I faught through it. When the nurse came back she was upset that I hadn't let them know I had a reaction. What she didn't know was I wouldn't have let them do more. I couldn't be sure the cure would be worse than what I was going through.
I had an MRI which showed there were no fractures or clots. I had a concussion, but no further damage. They didn't want me to sleep of course, and I couldn't lay down, the pressure was too uncomfortable, so I pretty well stayed in a semi reclining position for about two weeks.
Even though I was still suffering shock, I insisted on returning to work. They found a very quiet corner for me with some paper work that didn't take too much mind envolvement. It was during this very weird time they had the Christmas Party. I had made a dress for the occasion while I was staying home. I thought I looked pretty good. Pictures taken showed the dress was great, but I looked as if I was spaced out to the max. Strange I didn't feel that bad, but looks don't lie.
After we returned home, we had a family gathering at Dawn and Greg's. Jay and I were getting things out of the trunk of the car. He thought I had gone into the house when actually I had just handed off what I had to someone else, and turned back to get something else out of the trunk. Jay did not see me and slammed the trunk lid down on my head. I saw stars for a short time but came out of it with another bump on my head about the same place of the first one. Jay was so upset. Well, not as much as I was!
Then there was the experience in my Second Mission in 2004. Our Devotionals were usually started Friday Mornings with a pre program, put on by one or a group of Missionaries. It was voluntary of course. I told Sister Jurgenson I would like to get a group together to do a program; she was delighted to have me put something together. I went to the group I entered the Mission with who had some pretty good singers in it. I got all the music together and then asked for a couple solos and a couple mixed quartet numbers. It was difficult getting together
to practice but I kept after the group and was fairly successful. Fortunately for me, we were posponed due to some other schedule changes. As it turned out we were the last group to perform before they dropped the pre programs from the Devotionals. Now you might wonder what all this had to do with my head. Well, one of the last practices I scheduled was to be in the Training Lab. I arrived with all the music in tow and pleased to find some of the quartet ready to practice. The final member came into the lab, I didn't see him, I had my back to him. As he passed the speaker used in the lab, he kicked it with his foot accidentally. It was on a tall and flimsy stand that toppled and headed in my direction. There was no way I could see it, and no warning could have helped. The speaker about the size of a Television came straight for my head. It not only knocked me silly, but threw me about 5' forward flat on my face. My clothes were all ascue and left me in rather an unfortunate condition on the floor. It took me awhile to find my sences. I tried to straighten out my clothes and get to my feet. You guessed it, same place on my head. They sent me down to the Dr. who checked me over and felt I was O.K., but had a nasty bump on the back of my head. (So what else was new?) We had our practice, and our program, when it was time to perform, went beautiful. I think everyone loved it. I had picked all Primary songs. I found a very old Primary Song Book, and we used songs that were ones many of the Missionaries had sung when they were in Primary.
Well that is the tale of my "head". I am greatful that I have a skull that can take all this banging around. Of course you will remember that I had my head put through the windshield in that Auto Accident in 1952. If I seem "rattled" at times, purhaps you will excuse me on the grounds I have been "hit in the head" too many times.

Written this 9th day of December 2009
by: Eileen Rosenberg

No comments:

Post a Comment