Monday, February 2, 2009

The Boys Bought a Car!

Yes, with the industry of the two boys, they finally pooled their money and
bought a second hand Chevy two door coupe. They shared in the payments
and insurance, etc. Ron always had a girl friend, so I think he used it more,
but Ralph had the car to go back and forth to work. By this time he had been
out of High School for some time. Ron was still in High School and worked
part time at the Signal - the paper in Huntington Park that we had delivered
papers for. The fun for me was that even though I was still the "little sister"
I got to ride in the car and that was big stuff. Dad always had a car, but we
rarely used it except to take trips. As told before, we walked everywhere as
a family, or took the "J" car - an electric street car if we were going any
distance. If we kids wanted to go to the beach, we took the Red Bus at Florence
Avenue - and paid 50 cents to go to Long Beach and back for the day. Another
quarter would handily take care of lunch. We were set for the day. How we
got to Florence Avenue was by walking to Randolf and Pacific where we caught
the Yellow bus - got a transfer and changed buses at Florence Avenue. When
I couldn't bum a ride with the boys, that is how I made it with friends to have fun.
Ralph was a roller skater and would take me with him when he went to the rink
on Atlantic Blvd. I loved going there and many of friends went as well. I had to
rent skates until Dad ponied up and bought me a pair of shoe skates. Nothing
but the best. We bought Ice Skating Boots minus the blades and then had rollers
put on them. They were better boots, and I was really snazzy when I went to
the rink. Not many girls had such a pair of skates. I got pretty good, but nothing
like Ralph. He could do sorts of tricks and turns. He was the envy of everyone,
but he still didn't have a girl.
Ron was going with Willetta Powers who had been a neighbor but her family
had moved to El Monte. A car was necessary if the romance was to continue.
I was always a welcome "tag along" because Willetta had a younger sister
just a year older than I was. When Ron would pick Willetta up he would
leave me with Betty and I would pal around with her and her friends. It was
the better part of two worlds really. El Monte was out in the country in those
days, and all the activities Betty and went on usually ment we rode the
School Bus. I lived in walking distance from school, so didn't have that kind
of experience. It was always great fun. I went to ball games and dances or
what ever was going on. I think I attended more school functions in El Monte
than I did in Huntington Park. When Ron went into the Marine Corp following
his Graduation from High School, the car became to porperty of Ralph and
I was home bound. Ralph still didn't have a girl friend.
When Ralph was sole owner he traded the car in for a convertible - another
Chevy. He always wore a yatch cap when he drove. He kept that car until
he too went into the service. I believe they sold it and put the money in the
bank so another car could be purchased upon their return. You have to
remember in those days, the war was on, and cars were scarce. New cars
were rarely available so used cars brought a good price.
Written this 2nd day of February 2009

No comments:

Post a Comment