Tuesday, February 3, 2009

Ralph Broke my Leg

We lived on 55th Street in Hungtington Park and the yard was always full of friends.
I think Ron drew them like flies. So there was always a range of ages to play with.
One day we were running around and having fun, laughing and chasing each other.
Two of the older girls took me under the arms and I was crab walking across the
lawn. At the same time, Ralph wanted to show off, for the girls I imagine, and as I
got close, he did a back flip and landed on my outstretched legs. It was innocent
enough, but it hurt. Of course, I cried and they took me in the house. Mom did
not think it was anything serious so wiped up my tear stained face and told me to
go back and play. When I would try to walk, it hurt. So I didn't go back outside.
I hobbled around for the rest of the day, and Mom complained I was just letting on.
I wasn't, but I couldn't get anyone to take me serious. That evening we drove over
for a visit with my Grand Parents, but I refused to get out of the car. They should
have known I was hurting, because I would have walked a mile to be with my Grand
Dad. When I didn't come into the house, he came out to me, and I told him that
my leg hurt, and I didn't want to walk on it. He carried me into the house and
insisted that I be taken to the Doctor and have the leg looked at. The next day I
went to see the Doctor. They took x-rays and found I had a "green stick" break of
the right leg. Which ment the bone was snapped but went right back into place.
In those days they didn't cast such breaks, but put it in a confining bandage and
put me on crutches. I went back to see the Doctor and have the bandage changed
every week for 6 weeks I believe it was. My leg got skinny, but it healed fine. I
felt sorry for Ralph because he felt so bad, and kept apoligizing to me. It was an
accident, and I never had any hard feelings toward him.
Written this 3rd day of February 2009

No comments:

Post a Comment