Monday, July 27, 2009

And These "Two" Things

In mind meandering, I came up with two things that mean a great deal to me with my membership in the Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints. For a long time, I didn't give a lot of thought to them, then one day, I realized just how important they are - at least to me. The first is Tithing Settlement. At the end of each year, I have gone to the Bishops Office and had a short but important chat and recollection time. The years I wasn't working, I went to declare that I was Tithing Exempt. Having no income of my own, I had noting to Tithe, but it was important to make that declaration to the Bishop so that I would qualify for my Second Thing that means so much to me. Propable even more than the first.
That would be my interview for a Temple Recommend. For years these more scared me than brought forth feelings of "refreshment". Mainly because one can rarely feel "totally worthy" for such a great Blessing. Then one day, when I was leaving one of those interviews, I talked candidly with the Councilor who had interviewed me and admitted I was always leary of that question of "worthiness".
I guess we all have a twinge or two when we stop to think about the Blessing of Temple participation brings to mind. What a beautiful place, what serenity is found in the Temple and how often we are blessed with greater insight into the things we are taught there. How can we be so brash as to believe we could be "totally worthy"? This great man simply said: "Sister Rosenberg, I never asked you if you were perfect. I asked you if you "felt" worthy?" At that particular moment, I knew I was doing the best "I" could do, so worthiness wasn't a problem.
Being a Temple Recomment holder, made me continually strive to do "My Best".
We aren't suppose to "measure up" to anyone elses ideals, only do "Our Best". One can only do that in line with the knowledge they have. Our knowledge should continue to grow, and with it our ability to do better and better over the span of time.
Once a year I have the opportunity to set and discuss with my Bishop how I am doing with my willingness to follow the commandment of Tithing. Some times I find I have fallen short, one of those envelopes was still stuck somewhere, and didn't get turned in. The checks were never short, they might have been misplaced, but even that was not on purpose, but I had this chance to "square" myself "before" the Lord and my Bishop. What a great feeling. How blessed we are to have such opportunities. How greatful to be able to teach our children the importance of such seemingly small things. How sad when the members don't think it is important enough to take the time to do.
We have been counseled to carry a current Recommend, even if we live to far from a Temple to be able to attend. I don't believe we truly understand what that means. Not that the Lord or the Bishop and Stake Presidency needs to know our standing. We need to take the time to set and think about "how we are doing". Take a personal Inventory of where we are and how we "feel" about things. What a wise Father in Heaven we have. No one will come and check on us if we don't go to Tithing Settlement, and no one will stop us on any given Sunday and ask if we are Temple Worthy before we take the Sacrament. Those things are left up to us to know or deside.
I remember one time saying to myself, I will try always to be worthy to hold and use my Temple Recommend. The payoff for that was when we were called to serve as Ordinance Workers in the Los Angeles Temple. That would never have come to us, without our being Temple Recommend holders. Then again it couldn't have come to us if we hadn't been full Tithe Payers either.
Yes, the two things that I am greatful for remain the same. I think about them once a year when Christmas rolls around and the end of the year is upon us. Then again I am reminded to take care of the other when I check my recommend. I only have to do that once every other year now, but I keep a check on that date. I don't ever want to be caught with an outdated recommend. I hope I will always be able to qualify for one. I may not be able to attend as often as I like, but I always want to be able to if the opportunity arises.
Written this 27th of July 2009
by: Eileen Rosenberg

No comments:

Post a Comment