Saturday, July 25, 2009

Hey, it's Fair Time

I don't know why this hasn't come to mind before, but way back when, we use to do the Fair in high style. I would take my vacation time, and come up to Atascadero so I could take all the Slane kiddoes to the Fair for a day. I don't recall whether Shayla ever got in on those wild times, but I know that Keara, Gower and Nemiha did.
That was when the smaller ones had to watch while Keara went on the rides she so loved. Then we would take the, not so daring, over to the smaller rides. When I think back on it I wonder how I was able to take the heat and all the walking, but I was a lot younger then. It was such a fun time for me I know.
Now when I go by the Fair Grounds I remember how things were then, and realize there have been a number of changes made. I think the last time I went to the Fair was when I took Jay. He use to like to go through the buildings and see all the things they were selling. I don't recall him ever buying anything, but it was fun to look. Of course we had to stop before we left and get a Cinnamon Roll and some milk. Come to think of it, that is what I did with the Slane Kiddoes as well. Nothing like a Cinnamon Roll at the Fair.
I recall we would take some time on the lawn area and watch some of the performances that went on there. Good place to rest for a short while, and enjoy some of the shade. There was always a drink or two and something to eat. Whatever we could get that wouldn't make too much of a mess. I guess it didn't really matter what, being at the Fair made up for any of the things we weren't able to do.
Thank goodness for the stroolers. They weren't as fancy back then as they have become today, but they sure saved for carrying things and helping the little ones save their legs. Great place to sneak in a nap as well.
I guess one of the highlights of our visit was finding Greg when he came on duty at the Fair. We usually had an opportunity to visit with him for a few minutes somewhere before we headed home at the end of what I thought was a pretty great day. You know I have always hoped the few times we were able to enjoy things together was making memories that would last for a long time. We may not think of them often, but when they do come to mind, it is sweet to look back on, well for me anyway.
As Latter-day Saints we believe Families are Forever, and it is the memories we make as we go along that will be remembered when we can no long do such fun things, like now. My old legs just won't take the walking, and I doubt my old head would like the heat as well. Doesn't mean I wouldn't enjoy doing things, it just means the Spirit is willing but the Flesh is weak. There are days I wake up and feel as if I could do just about anything, then once I am up and moving, I realize the idea was O.K., but the rest of me soon finds out that ideas don't get us far.
I have often said: "if I would have know just how great my youth was, I would have enjoyed it more." I don't mean I would have done more, I mean, I would have enjoyed what I was doing more. We sort of let the good times roll right on by without taking the time to "smell the roses".
Whatever, I did enjoy the Fair, and the things we did together. I guess I always enjoy being with the family - no matter what we are doing. Those times just don't seem to come around all that often, and life seems to get away from us. The way things were ment to be.
Written this 25th day of July 2009
by: Eileen Rosenberg

No comments:

Post a Comment