Saturday, May 30, 2009

Beginning in the Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints 1952

I believe I have already shared my conversion story with you. This is a "Spin Off" of that Blog.

When I had been baptized, the Missionaries encouraged me to attend the meetings at the Ward in Whittier. You may remember I was not able to walk during the last part of the Missionary Lessons. When I was able to drive myself, I started attending and found the Ward was not as friendly as I had hoped. I am sure most converts feel that way. There was one fella standing at the door as I approached and he shook my hand and introduced himself. When I went into the chapel, no one else bothered to speak to me. I wasn't there for them anyway, so I took a seat and enjoyed the meeting. It was Sunday School. At that time, Sacrament was served at both the Sunday School in the morning and Sacrament Meeting which was held in the evening. All the other meetings were spaced out during the week. Relief Society was in the morning on Thursday as I recall, Primary was in the afternoons on Wednesday. I have no idea the day or time of MIA, but it was in the evenings as well.

Sunday School was great because they had time to practice the Hymns. It gave me the opportunity to learn new ones. The first one they were practicing then was "I Stand All Amazed". As you may well imagine it is my most favorite Hymn of them all to this day. I thought the man at the door was the Bishop, but I was wrong. I never met the Bishop, and had not the slightest idea even who he was. There were men setting on the stand, but I didn't know enough about the Church to tell just who was who. After attending for a few weeks, I asked the "greeter" if he was Bishop and he laughed and said: "No I'm Cliff" I don't remember his last name now, but it may come to me.

About two weeks after I started to attend Church the Missionaries came by the house and asked me if I would teach a "Primary Class". I had no idea what that was. They explained it was a group of little children and would be a great way for me to learn more about the Church and the Gospel. The class was the "Sunbeams". They gave me the books and told me when and where to go. I studied the little lesson and went on my first day at the proper time and met with those little kids. I was scared to death I would do or say something wrong. They were the typical bunch of little kids. More "motion" than "attention". I managed and left feeling like I could do so much better the next time around.

After about a month or so of teaching, I had met not only the little kids, but a few of the Sisters, so going to Sunday School and Sacrament Meeting wasn't as lonely. One Sunday Morning while I was with some of the other Primary Teachers waiting for Sunday School to start; a very tall and lovely lady walled up to me and asked if I wouldn't like to come to Prayer Meeting before Primary. I asked her what it was, and after she explained I agreed I could do that. She also explained there would be a Stake Primary Meeting in another week, and if I would like to go to that she would see I had a ride. It was over at the Alhambra Building - the Stake was pretty wide spread at that time. We were part of the East Los Angeles Stake.

I was overwhelmed at the help I received at that Stake Primary Meeting. The Stake Leader was so helpful, and full of ideas and little projects I could do with the kids, it opened a whole new world to me. The Stake Music Leader taught the newest Primary Songs that I had missed out on learning. Well, after months of "doing it myself" I found a treasury of wonderful things to help me be the kind of teacher I had wanted to be. As you can see, I was introduced to the Church in rather a "step and fetch it" kind of way. I am not sure I would recommend it for the
general convert, but for me it was great, because I had to lean on myself to start with and then gradually lean on those who were "always there" to gently lead me along. Those Sisters were just great. The Missionaries had brought me along and then finally turned me over to those who could intergrate me into the Ward Family.

Why didn't the Bishop give me the "call"? I have no idea. I do know he was a baker and had his own business. He was under the heavy strain of getting funds and plans for the new building we needed. I have never thought a thing about not being called, in fact, come to think about it, I had never been set apart. Guess the Lord was really taking care of me all the way.

After awhile, I was called to take over the Blazer Class. It was a bunch of very roudy boys that had run through a lot of other Sisters who just refused to teach them any longer. I was just what the Primary President needed. I hadn't been raised with this kind of behavior and would not tolerate it. I went into that class and rather than the boys taming me, I let them know they and I had come to Primary to learn, and learn we would. I learned to love those boys, and they got along well with me. It wasn't all that long until I was moved up to teach the "Trekkers". This is really when the Stake Primary Meetings came in handy. I had not had any Scouting experience and needed all the help I could get to prepare the boys to become Scouts and advance into the Aaronic Priesthood. You know, come to think of it, I have never taught a class of girls in the Primary. I don't know if that was to their advantage, or mine.

It was after the Wards had been divided and we were to meet in the new building I was called to be a councelor in the Young Womens MIA. I had no idea how Esther Jorgenson knew about me. It was a big step from boys to girls, but I accepted the challenge and was off on another adventure as a member of the Church.

Esther encouraged me to go to work and earn my "Golden Gleaner" award. It would help me a great deal in working with the Young Women. I got the book and began the lengthy steps the girls had to take to "Golden Gleaners". I went through the steps and was able to satisfactorily pass each one up to the one about keeping a journal. That was the final one. It would have to be over a longer period of time. I had gone through the rest in about 3 months. It was hard, but I was following the council Esther had given me. One day the Secretary, a Sister I will leave nameless at this point for obvious reasons, complained it was not fair that I could get the same award it had taken her years to complete. You may understand I was quite tender during this time, and after concideration had to agree with her. It really didn't look our sound fair. So I did not complete the final step. I was never a "Golden Gleaner".

I only tell this story here to explain something I had to learn. The Lord has called many over the generations of this world. He has never let anyone who was willing to extend themselves to be less rewarded than those who had been in service from the beginning. Adam and Eve were not given more in the Garden of Eden that any member of the Church can not have, well except the "forbidden fruit". In fact we do not even know what that fruit was. I am sure Adam wanted all his children to be blessed as much as he and Eve had been. We all have to live in a "not so perfect world". We all have to make it through with our own trials and accomplishments. If we are "faithful" we will received the promised blessings. New I was, I did not realize that at the time. When I did discover it, I realized I had not rewarded that Sister by not finishing the steps to become a "Golden Gleaner" I had only denied myself the award. I took nothing from her, she had more time to do what I had worked hard to accomplish in a shorter space of time. I had a new baby and a home to take care of and a growing son and husband. None of these had taken time from her achievement. Once I learned the lesson I have never forgotten, and hope that none of my "daughters" or "sons" for that matter will ever allow someone to come up to them and say: "it isn't fair" that you got something it took them more time to get. We all go forward in our own time, in our own way, and received the reward because we filled the requirements "faithfully". The Lord asks no more of us, and we should not allow anyone else to set standards for us.

I have had other things come up over the years. Things I had to find out for myself if they were correct, or something someone else thought was "fair". My path has always led me to one conclusion, which is: "if you have been called to the job, if you have filled it with faithfulness, and you have been true to the truth; go forward - don't allow anyone else judge you." I trust in the Lord and the sound council of the Priesthood to direct me in all that I do. When trials of any kind come your way, it is best to get good council. Examine your reasons and your conduct. Make adjustments when needed, but do not let anyone else stop or impede your service. I did not join the Church for the people in the Church. I became a member to serve and to help others find their way. I am working out "my own salvation" and not anyone elses. I have found the path somewhat rocky and difficult to get over at times, but I have never found the Lord would leave me without help when I truly sought it.

The years have passed since those first encounters. I am greatful for each one that helped get me to where I am today. I have a strong and sweet testimony of the truthfulness of the Gospel of Jesus Christ. I have earned it - the hard way - thankfully. With each experience, with each trial, I have looked deeply into each for the answer of what: "I was suppose to learn by it." I have not taken the time to feel sorry for myself, or to quit. My time here was ment to help me learn 1) who I am - a daughter of God 2) what I will do with my life - learn and become all that I can be and 3) what service really is - helping myself so that I may assist others in the most effective way. It has been said: "if experience is such a great teacher, how come it has such a bad reputation?" I believe it is because our experiences are not ment to keep us down, but to show us how to "pick ourselves up" and "carry on". One has but to look back on all the trials the Pioneers went through to see we all benefit when each of us is willing to continue to strive for something better for those who will follow. It has been said: "life has no stops, no resting places."
We don't coast through life. The only way to get through it I guess is to "charge".

To those who follow, I would advise you continue to "look up". It is the sun (Son) that brings us light and warmth. Everyday may not be "sunny", but the sun is still there. To this I so testify-

Written this 30th day of May 2009
by: Eileen Rosenberg

No comments:

Post a Comment