Saturday, May 30, 2009

Mother and Jeff Jorgenson

When my parents were in the accident that took my Dads' life and Mother was hurt so badly, we had the opportunity to help her back to health. She was not a member of the Church at the time but had such a great experience with the Church while in the hospital in Lompoc. I guess I should start by telling you about that.

After the accident while they waited for the ambulance to come,the Doctor who had arrived on the scene decided Mother would do better in the samll community of Lompoc in the hospital there. It was a good hospital, and had all the necessary things to assist in Moms' care. When she was admitted through the emergency room, news got out that she was there. The Priesthood arrived as did the Relief Society Sisters. Mother was able to tell them she was not a member, but we were. It was enough to keep them coming on a regular basis the entire time she was there.

When she had progressed enough we were able to bring her home, she came to our house for her extended time to return to full health. As stated elsewhere, I was in the YWMIA at the time and the President, Esther Jorgenson took it upon herself to see to the families every need from the funeral to the coming home of the patient. I guess that is how Jeff, her husband got envolved. He was a large man both in height and structure. He stood about 6' 2" and weighed about 225 lbs. He had a rare condition - he produced too much blood and had to go give blood about every 60 days or so to maintain his own health. Strange, but true.

On Sunday he came to "take" mother to Church. She was not able to walk as yet, so he would come and gather her up in his arms and place he oh, so gently in his big car and deliver her to one of the benches in the Chapel in time for the meeting to start. I think she enjoyed those Sunday meetings very much. Nothing was said about taking lessons, or joining, she was just picked up each week and brought back home.

I am sure that Jay could have done as much. We had an adequate car, and he was certainly big enough to handle Mom, but Jeff made it his personal job. It would not seem too out of the way except to understand at the time Jeff, himself, was an inactive member. I don't know just what had happened in his life, but he had been soured by something, I never learned what. For the entire time Mom was with us, Jeff saw that she was able to attend Church and be brought back home safely. Jeff and Esther had two sons and one daughter. Esther became one of my best friends and her children were near enough the age of Paul that we had more than a Church relationship. Jeff never was active that I recall. He worked at a Bank. I think he was some kind of an officer. Very bright and a swell fella.

I believe his continued care for Mom was one of the major reasons she invited the Missionaries in to hear their message after she had returned home. She was working in her yard when they came by. She took the lessons and was baptized about a year later.

When Jeff passed away some years later, I attended his funeral. It was held in the Chapel at Rose Hills Memorial Park in Whittier. There was a large gathering of mourners. Most I am sure were not members of the Church. I wasn't late, but the Chapel was pretty full by the time I got
there. I was about 2/3 the way back on the right side. To my right was a large, floor to ceiling window that led to a cement patio. During the service my attention was drawn to that patio, by what I do not recall. When I looked out the windows I saw a large group of people dressed in white standing there. No noticible faces, but I could tell there were both men and women in the group. The scene lasted only a few seconds - then it was gone. I looked down the isle from where I was setting and saw my dear friend Ron Johnson standing in the ilse next to his wife who was setting on the isle. He just stood there next to her with his hands folded, much like the boys do when they are passing the Sacrament. He was looking toward the casket. That scene lasted but a few seconds as well. It too passed from my view. When the Service had ended I walked up to Dot, Rons' wife and asked if she had seen him standing next to her. She said NO!
Ron and Jeff were great friends. I will tell you more about Ron another time.

I have always been greatful to Jeff for his kindness to Mom during those trying weeks she was recovering from the accident and loss of Dad. I believe I was able to see the Spirits of others who Jeff had assisted during his life time, and witness a dear friend come to assist him into the Spirit World. Ron had passed away only a few months earlier. It is such experiences I have been blessed with which have helped strengthen my Testimony and appreciate how valuable my memebership in the Church really is.

Written this 30th day of May 2009
by: Eileen Rosenberg

No comments:

Post a Comment