Friday, May 15, 2009

Our Amazing Children

I guess old age, and time passing makes us remember the little things long forgotten. Especially when it comes to the "kids". So here goes!

Paul was more like me and Dawn like her Dad. Paul had my temperment, which caused both of us a lot of greif while he was growing up and Dawn navigated to her Dad, both in things to do and in the way they felt. Paul took his looks after the Harris side of the family, and strange as it may sound, Dawn has taken hers from the Smith side. Go figure!

I can honestly say, however, they both came up with the wonderful ability to make friends where ever they went. I don't believe either of them have met a stranger. I can't recall a move, or a trip we took when both of them were not perfectly at home and or acquainted by the time Jay and I had settled in. It was amazing. If there was ever a tendency to hold back because of the newness or stangeness of surroundings, it never seemed to phase either of them. Which I took as a definite advantage for the two of them.

I have spent time on some of the antics of Paul, now I think I would like to take a few minutes of your time talking about how "I remember Dawn". Though Dawn made friends easily, she was just as comfortable by herself. She could play for hours with no one around her. Being six years younger than Paul, she was alone at home for a long time before school days. We lived in a neighborhood where there were children her age, and that was back in the days of the "coffee clutch". I guess I should explain that one. The young housewives would get the kids off to school, get their basic housework done then gather at one of the other houses for a "coffee clutch". The smaller children could play in the back yard, and the babies were allowed to play on their blankets on the living room floor. By the time Dawn came into the family, I had become a member of the Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints and didn't drink coffee anymore, and somehow no longer fit into the group. Which could have bearing on the differences of the way the kids played.

Paul was in School when Dawn was born. I would put her in the stroller, or buggy and walk with Paul to his school which was just a short walk from the house. Some days we would walk back to meet him when he was finished at school, but not always. Our house was in an old Orange Grove so the walk was very pleasant when the trees were in bloom. It wasn't long until the Orange Grove was sold off and made way for more houses and Shopping Malls. Seems a shame now, but then that is what progress does. By the time Dawn was ready for school Paul would walk with her. They didn't go to the same school for long however. The age difference was like Ron and I
he was moving on when I came in. That was pretty much the way it was with Paul and Dawn.

Although Dawn enjoyed playing by herself, she enjoyed school too. Being with the other children was fun, and she made friends easily, or so it seemed to me. Neither of the kids were leaders however. They had a followers nature about them, which caused me to keep close tabs on the people around them. Paul was less careful about that of the two of them. Being the "little sister" was difficult because Dawn always wanted to do what Paul was doing. That was how the "fanner 50" incident happened. The boys were playing "cowboys and indians" I believe when Dawn snatched one of Pauls guns. He chased her and when she was nearly caught, she threw the gun in the air and bolted for her safety. Paul seeing his nice new gun flipped into the air made a grab for it, missed and it hit him in the mouth chipping one of his front teeth. A trip to the dentist was in order. Nothing would be done about the missing part of Pauls tooth. Such was their relationship.

Dawn had the knack of looking out for the "under dog" as it were. Many a young person was looked after so they weren't the butt of thoughtless jokes because Dawn would step up and befriend them. Being "popular" was the in thing, but it never made Dawn less aware of those who were not included in her circle of friends. When school offered the opportunity to do drama, I think she was first in line to try out. I don't recall her ever being bashful or afraid to put herself forward in that way. A trait her Dad never had. I have no idea where that came from.
I guess like Keara being so fond of those scarey rides at the Fair, much as her Great Grandfather Charles Smith loved to do, Dawn naturally picked it up from someone back on one of the family lines. When we moved to Taft, Dawn tried out for a play at the Junior High and followed it with many plays while in High School. It was something she enjoyed doing. In fact there were times at the Church when she used what she had learned to good advantage as well. Would she have made a good actress? I believe she would have, but I am greatful she chose being a wife and mother instead. She has done an outstanding job there, which has much longer lasting rewards than acting could have brought.

While Dawn was at Taft High School she was able to expand her talents in a number of ways. In
her Sophmore year she was nominated for Sophmore Princess at the Winter Ball. That was her first formal. What a time I had making that dress. It was the best one I think I ever made her. I know it set a precedent, or so I found out much later. I digress here - the Girls Dean came to me and said she waited to see what dress Dawn would wear at the formal dance because she always came dressed in such good taste. We always knew it was Church Dress Standards that caught her eye, and that of a number of other people I gather. Dawn didn't win that year, which was not really all that bad. Being her first formal made up for the difference I believe. I modified that gown for another Formal dance, and it was just as eye catching. Then there was the summer formal when she wore a dress off the pattern for the gown Vivian Leigh wore in Gone With the Wind (movie). White dotted swiss over a yellow lining. I found I didn' t have enough dotted swiss to make the skirt as flowing as it called for, so I incerted a panel in the back that was high lighted with a bussel. The inset was covered with rows of gather lace. It was different, and made the back of the dress more outstanding than the front. Very Southern Belle looking. The next attempt was a very subdued pink with lace gown. The material was the thing.
It was called crystal, and it had a frosted glass look to it. The final creation was for the Senior Queen Winter Formal. Dawn was again nominated. I needed something that looked like it came out of Dr. Zivago. The under part of the dress was satin with an over skirt of sheer with a gold design that look quite Greek I would say. It had Elizabethen sleeves and a white rabbit fur collar. Talk about Winter. She was the Winter Queen for sure. We didn't know if she would win, but she would look the part.

Before the Ball, I was called by one of the committee and told she had won, and they were inviting me. I was PTA President at the time. I didn't tell Dawn that I was planning on being at the Dance. Her date came to get her, I quickly dressed and went over. I stayed out of the way
so she wouldn't know that I was there. What happened was a real thrill for me. The evening was started by announcing the Winter Queen and the Princess' from the other classes. Before they called Dawns name, the crowd parted like the Red Sea, leaving a path for Dawn to walk
through when her name WAS called. I think everyone in the school knew she was the Winter Queen but her. She still had her braces on her teeth which made smiling a bit troublesome. When she went back to have her braces removed a short while later the Dr. told her, had he known she was to be crowned, he could have removed them a few weeks earlier. Such is life.
The trill was still there.

Dawn was a song girl during her last three years at Taft High. It was a busy time for her. She was head Song Leader the final year, and many an hour was spent in practice at our house and on the lawn when the weather permitted it. Football games were the big thing. She went to Camp to participate in learning new skills. I went along one year as an Adult Leader. I had my hands full keeping up with the girls I was assinged to. I didn't know them, and they did not know me, but we made quick and fast friends. I will never forget the hundreds of times I had to climb the stairs to our rooms. My legs were not use to that, but the girls seemed to manage it with all the jumping around they did all day long. That year the Camp was held at San Diego State College. Beautiful campus and the hospitality was great for everyone.

As PTA President I was responsible for the Snack Bars at the Football Games. We made a lot of money for the school, and spent hundreds of hours getting things prepared for the Friday games. I served two years as President at Taft High and was nominated and chosen as the PTA Life Member from the school the last year I served. It was an honor I cherish because my Mother had been so honored when she was President at Huntington Park High School. Schools and PTA were so different back then. I am greatful for the experiences enjoyed during that time of my life.

When Dawn was a Senior I was in charge of the All Night Grad Party. We were so busy trying to make the evening as eventful as we could, so the Graduates wouldn't go out into the oilfields to drink and get into trouble following the Graduation Ceremonies. I was able to get the Rec. Center in Taft for the major part of the festivities. There was a refreshment bar, and small bowling alley in the basement and a great basketball court outside that we made into an outdoor resturant for the candle light dinner. The Gym served as the Ballroom and we were able to get the local theatre in town to show a sunrise movie. I believe most of those who were able to make that slept through it. After thought, I am greatful for that. The only movie they could provide for us was "Paint Your Wagon". I had never seen it before, and after viewing it that night, I wouldn't say it was a fitting choice for that group at that time. No one would think a thing of it now though.

Dawn was popular I guess you might say. She had loads of friends and seemed to enjoy her activities at the time. She did not date until she was 16, even though we allowed her to go to her first formal in December before she turned 16 in January. Had she not been nominated for Sophmore Princess, she would not have gone. She understood that, and was happy we were open to her attending a few weeks before she met the standards of the Church.

Just a short note about Dawn and her Dad. I think I would be remiss if I didn't remark about that for her children and grand children to know about that relationship. It didn't matter what Jay was doing, Dawn had to be right there along side doing her thing with him. It was not uncommon to hear Jay yell: "Charmaine come and get this kid, she won't let me have my tools".
It is no wonder Dawn can fix things every bit as well as her Dad. She had a great teacher. In fact I must confess it was Jay who taught her how to cook. They would spend hours in the kitchen baking or making candy. Even after she was married you could see her hand in hand with her Dad, while Greg and I walked along remarking how close the two of them were. Now I don't mean to convey the idea that they always did things in harmony. On the contrary. To watch them work you might have thought they didn't get along at all. Why I remember the time Dawn wanted to wallpaper the kitchen in their new home on Laurel Road in Atascadero. She picked out the paper but would not have anyone but her Dad help her. The heated discussions they had on how it went, what they should do, etc. kept Greg and I entertained to no end. We just sat in the Family Room looking at each other totally amuzed at what it took to get that job done, and so happy we didn't have to be included.

When Greg and Dawn were planning their Wedding, Jay was working in Las Vegas building the original Grand Hotel. I would spend one week-end in Paso Robles working with Shirley and Bill on what was to be done, then the next week I would go to Las Vegas and update Jay. I kept such close records on everything I was spending and what was done. At that time the Camper Shell was stored in the garage on Alvy Street in Anaheim. I used it as an office. I had all the receipts and other information on the desk so Jay could go over them to see what was spent and just how much it cost him for the Wedding. When he came home after it was all over, he asked what that pile of papers were. I explained I had left them there so he could go over them and see what he had spent. He picked them up and tossed them in the waste basket. He simple asked are they paid to which I said: "yes". He replied then that is all I need to know.
He never made an accounting of what the Wedding costed. It didn't matter to either of us. It was lovely, and the kids were happy. Nothing else really mattered.

Written this 15th day of May 2009
by: Eileen Rosenberg

No comments:

Post a Comment