Thursday, May 14, 2009

The Church Picnic at Irvine/Orange County Park

When we moved into the house at 2914 Belgrave Avenue in Huntington Park, CA we were within walking distance of the small Evangelical Church off Miles Avenue. The folks always insisted we attend Church each Sunday, so we started attending there. There was Sunday School and Chapel Services on Sunday and I always went to Daily Vacation Bible School during the Summer. One big event was the Church Picnic.

Now Huntington Park was not near Orange County, and back in those "good ole days" there was not a Freeway to anywhere. That ment we had to drive the regular roads, which ment time going and coming was as much a part of the fun as the picnic was. You must remember this was
back in the "dark ages" of doing things the "old fashion way". There were no permission slips, no routine laws about hauling a group of children in any special way or worries about the food we ate. According to todays standards, we should have all died coming, going, or eating our sack lunches. Well there were some of the kids who were lucky enough to have cash to buy something at the food stand in the Park. We weren't part of that limited number however. Mom would pack us a lunch and give us a nickle to buy something to drink. Yes, a nickle was able to do such things back in those days.

Everyone would gather at the Church early and get ready to climb aboard the flat bed truck that had high slatted sides. It was a good idea to have a warm jacket, and even a shawl or blanket was a bit helpful on those "airy" rides. Well we sang, and waved at every car that passed us, you have to realize the traffic was not all that heavy back in those days. When we got near the Park there was general excitement. The Park was big, and we were turned loose to have a great day. If you had the extra money you could rent a bike and ride all over the Park. Or if you were more adventureous, you could rent a cannoe and row yourself around the lake. There were trees to climb and paths to hike. Well it was a paradise. So much to do and so much to see. The boys would try to see that I had someone to pal with. They were so much older they didn't want to hang around with me all day. I didn't mind, because the Park was a magical place to me. I loved every minute we were there, and hated to hear the call to come load up and leave for home.

I don't remember how many of those picnics we attended, but just thinking about it even today brings back a flood of rich memories of having such a great time, and feeling so free and safe. I don't know there is a place today such wonderful days could be spent with the freedom we enjoyed back then. So sad to realize that children have to be watched for their own safety today.

The people that organized those fabulous outings were careful with their charges for the day, and planned a great many things to do for all the kids. We had games to play and group hikes, well it was just wonderful. As I have stated before, when I was small, everyone was use to making their own fun. We didn't think about money, or "things". We made up our games and played "make believe" with what ever we could scroung up. Old dresses from Mom, maybe a pair of old high heeled shoes a hat or two and some old hang bags - that we called purses back
then. We made a house with sheets or blankets and went to the store and begged for their old apple or orange crates to make furniture for our make believe houses. At least one of us would have a "tea set" for our dishes for our imaginary meals. I don't ever recall making "mud pies" but we sure soaked up a large number of graham crackers. I am not sure now what we pretended they were, but they were so GOOD. Wonderful the mind of a child when it doesn't have toys, or play things. I think I may have had one sand bucket and small shovel when we would go to the beach, which wasn't very often. I do know when we did go, Mom always had a packed lunch for us. Looking back on it, I don't think we ever went to a Hambruger Stand even when we were at the beach, where there was a board walk with all kinds of things. You know we never missed out on having a good time no matter where we were or who we were with.

Picnics in a large Park, a day at the beach, walking across the street to go to the HP pool, well there just wasn't anything better. There were tennis courts across the street and all of us played tennis. I don't say we were good at it, but it passed the time of day. In fact I can remember hours spent hitting a tennis ball up against the wall of the Gym or up against the hand ball court wall. You know I wouldn't trade my childhood for anything they have today. I never remember asking for anything for Christmas. We were always surprised at what Santa brought to our house. None of us ever got a bike, or scooter. I had one doll and a buggy and what a great time I had with them. The boys had small cars made out of led and painted bright colors. They played marbles and the great fun was trading for different ones. Oh, and I had "jacks" I got pretty good picking them up. We played "hop scotch" by drawing the forms on the sidewalk with chalk. We jumped rope and played "kick the can". Oh, we did have roller skates. Ball bearing roller skates were the best kind, but you sure had to learn how to use them. Many a scraped knee was had before I could stay up on the ones I got.

In Pennsylvania I had a pair of "bathing shoes". You needed them to wade in the creek bed or play in the water in the street. When we would have a summer shower, we would put on our bathing suit and bathing shoes and play in the rain. No one had pools in those days, in fact I don't think I ever saw a pool until we moved to Belgrave Avenue and learned of the one at the High School that was just across the street from us.

No I wouldn't trade my childhood for any other time. It wasn't charged with a great deal of excitement, but we sure had fun. The street was always filled with kids after supper was over and the dishes done. Few cars came up or down the streets during that time. Everyone was home and in the house. The streets were left to the young. All ages would gather to play games and share their skates or homemade scooters. Back then a skate board was made out of a 2x4
and one skate that had broke and couldn't be used except the wheels. They were crude and rough, but man the boys could make them go. Life was simple then, but what a time we had.
No I wouldn't change my childhood. I am greatful for every minute of it. I was a child, and I was allowed to dress like a child and act like a child and have fun like children should be able to do.
Growing up was something you did by nature. I never thought about that until just now. I was not "advetised" into thinking I needed to be older than I was. What a blessing that was, and I didn't realize it, but am so greatful for it now. The telling doesn't do justice to the youth I had. It was not complicated, or hurried. In fact there was not one kid then who even suspected they were poor. Come to think of it, we were so rich is life, we had no idea what we really had.

Written this 15th day of May 2009
by: Eileen Rosenberg

No comments:

Post a Comment