Friday, May 29, 2009

Getting Ready to Attend the Temple for the First Time

This may be of interest, at least it will be an insight to what it was like to get ready when a new Temple has been dedicated close to where we lived.

I had been a member for about five years when they Los Angeles Temple was built and dedicated. When it opened it had a limited amount of clothing for rent. I was so small at the time it was not possible for me to rent clothing, so the Sisters in the Ward decided they would help get me ready. Lucille Dimmick made my dress. I worked on a slip. The Primary President, I'm sorry to say I don't remember her name, made the things for my Packet, well
all by one piece that I made and have made for each of my children and grand children since.
I found a pair of low heeled shoes, but found when I entered the Temple were not allowed. The heels would dig into the carpets, so they gave me a paid of slippers to wear. I replaced the shoes after that. The other things, usually furnished by the Temple, I also made for both Jay and I.
By the time our date was set, both Jay and I had our own things. Something I believe everyone should have.

The Temple had opened for Patrons in April of 1956 we went through on the 20th of August 1956. Everything was new. All the workers were new. Our Session was at 7 p.m. We got at the Temple around 5:30 p.m. I had made the childrens clothes for the sealing ceremony. We took them to the Nursery and checked in ourselves. Everyone was so kind and helpful. It made our time there such a great experience. Today you could do everything we did then in about 3 hours from start to finish. Like I said, every one was new. We didn't get out of the Temple until about one in the morning.

Los Angeles at that time had live Session like Salt Lake. Modern Technology has made a big difference in the time it takes to complete the ceremonies now. I don't believe I would have changed it however. The length of time was tireing back then, but the spirit and care was so special. I was greatful we had time to prepare ourselves, and our clothing. What a very special time it was and what a blessing to have our friends so helpful in making our experience so great.
I have tried to do a little of that for others over the years. Helping someone get ready, or have a richer experience is worth any cost or time spent. It is like giving them a "gift of self" that will be remembered each time they attend the Temple. Nothing could be better.

Over the years since that first time, I have enjoyed serving as a patron and as an Ordinance Worker. I have researched many of my ancestors and those of my Husbands extended family.
I have served two Missions in Salt Lake City in the Family History Mission where I have processed over one million names for Temple work to be done. I have completed hundreds of baptisms, initiatories, endowments and participated in a large number of sealings. I do not believe there is any more worthy time spent than attending Temple services for those who have not been blessed in mortality with Temple Ordinances. My sincerest regret is I do not live closer to a Temple so I could go weekly and participate in this worthy work.

Written this 30th day of May 2009
by: Eileen Rosenberg

No comments:

Post a Comment