Monday, May 11, 2009

The Day Our Mother Left Home

Remembering Mothers Day brought this forward in my mind.

I believe I was 9 or 10 years old when this particular incident happened. I have remembered it often and marveled at the wisdom Mom showed that day. I am sure I was the instigator in things that caused this. As I recall Ron and I were having a "fight" over what, I have no idea. All our fights were pretty much over whose fault it was for something that had taken place in the house. The time of day, it could have been doing the dishes from breakfast. I guess the cause is not as important as what it brought about.

As you may recall I have mentioned before that Mother never did enjoy good health. I believe this might have been one of those times when she hadn't been doing too well, and just was fed up with all the bickering that was going on between the kids. I should say here most of the trouble didn't seem to focus around Ralph, although I know he and Ron did fuss at time. It was mainly Ron and I that were "at it" over one thing or another.

We were standing in the dining room, as I remember, yelling at each other when Mom came out of her bedroom all dressed up. She talked calmly and told us straight out she had had , and was "leaving". The shock that must have registered stayed with us, because she left closing the front door after her. I think it took a short time before it sunk in. After the initial feelings had calmed and reality set in, she WAS gone. We all reacted about the same way, at first. Oh, she was just scaring us. She would be back. When she didn't come, the second shock wave hit, how could we explain her absence to Dad when he came home?

Three kids never moved more methodically through the chores they had been arguing over than did we. The house was cleaned and other duties found to make sure Mom would realize we were sorry, and were willing to do what ever it would take to make sure she didn't stay away. The hours passed. She still did not return. We fixed lunch, and cleaned up after ourselves like never before. It was then Ron found Moms watch on the dining room table. A thin thread of hope spread over the three of us. Mom never went anywhere without that watch. It was an octaginal rose gold watch with roman numerals sent to her by Dads Aunt from England. I am not sure who had left it to her in a will. I think it was Aunt Polly - Grandad Smiths younger Sister. Anyway seeing it laying there made a great deal of relief sink in. However it did not last long when it was closer to the time when Dad should come home from work and not find Mom at her usual post fixing dinner at the kitchen stove.

That was the longest day of our lives, I do believe. All of us knew that dinner was the same time everyday, so when Mom did not return, we got busy and put things on to cook. Fear and dread were the order of the day by then. I would have to say Mom had impecable timing. She got back just in time to finish up dinner. Dad was curious as to why Mom was so dressed up cooking dinner. She expalined what had happened. With our Dads usual clear headed thinking we were asked if we had learned anything. Today I could reply volumes, back then we were the most penetant children in the world. I don't think any of us had very much to say.

The lesson was learned, and the effects thereof were profound for some time. Sooner or later however, the usual eruptions between Ron and I began again. Amazing how those things took place then and the great relationship and love we have for each other now. Ron learned that I was not all that important, and I learned he was one of the greatest supporters I have had. As we are all that remain of the Smith Family I am greatful those days are in the past, and we can
enjoy remembering and laughing about such foolishness. It is, however a shame we couldn't have gained such wisdom sooner.

Written this 11 day of May 2009
by: Eileen Rosenberg

No comments:

Post a Comment