Friday, January 1, 2010

Something You Might Find Interesting?

When my Dad, John Smith, was a young man, he needed some Dental Work done. Going to a Dentist in those days was much different than it is today. First off, they didn't have all the high tech equipment you are use to seeing. No, it was pretty crude by todays comparison. I believe it was his "eye teeth" that needed work. Today, it might be pretty simple, but back then, it was
the long way around. Dad use to tell us his two gold capped front teeth were rather unusual for
the time in which they were done. The Dentist used a $20.00 Gold Piece to make the Crowns.
Dad said the Dentist had to hammer the piece down until it could be formed into those two Crowns or Caps. Guess he must have been pretty good, Dad wore those Crowns until he had his teeth pulled when he was in his 50's.
Going to a Dentist as a youth was pretty unusual. Now we are taught to see a Dentist at least once a year. For good Dental Health twice a year is better. When I was a kid, I don't remember ever going to the Dentist. It just wasn't that common back then. One of the requirements for me to Graduate from High School was my teeth had to be in tip/top condition. In my Senior Year I had an appointment with Dr. Chapwell who had an office across the street from the Post Office in Huntington Park. They took x-rays and found as I recall 17 cavaties. Some small but a couple were pretty big. Appointments were made, and I would go after school to have the work done. I never had any reason to fear going to the Dentist before, so I went without any cares. That soon changed when they started drilling without any pain medication. It was an awful experience and one I have not totally recovered from. Oh, I got it all done, but wasn't the least bit interested in going back.
Marrying Jay is probably the only reason I still have teeth in my head today. He was always set we kept our teeth in good repair. I hadn't lost any of my wisdom teeth either, so that was another little side trip yet to be "enjoyed". At least they put you to sleep by then. Dentistry had made giant strides. No longer did the Dentist do such things, I was referred to an "Oral Surgeon". By then I was in my mid 20's, married and a mother of one. I can't say I enjoyed it, but it sure beat, all to heck, what I had experienced before with Dr. Chatwell.
It seemed as if each visit, I found a great many changes for the better. Now they at least offered to give something for pain. Now it is a given. If they drill, they give their patient something to make the work more bearable.
I don't concider myself a "whimp", but for the amount of cavities I had, and the crude drilling system back then, it wasn't only the drilling, but the heat the drill generated that was part of the discomfort. The Dr. was most sympathetic, and did try in every way to work through it with me, but I learned to hate going to the Dentist, and have a hard time today with havning any drilling done. Thank heavens I have learned self hypnosis which helps me relax and get through those sessions with some comfort.
Now I am one of the lucky ones who has to see the hygenist to have my teeth cleaned 4 times a year. The Dentist reads x-rays once and year to see if all the Crown Work I have in place is still solid and not requireing more work. Only my front teeth have escaped some kind of covering. Do I have any gold in my mouth? Yes, but the Dentist didn't have anything to do with it. Now they have Dental Labratories that take the Dentist's impressions and makes the finished products. I guess that is an added reason we have bigger Dental bills than were noticed in the past. A number more people are getting "into the act". I am not complaining, the work has been excellent, and the pain brought mercifully to a very minimum. Oh, I still hate going to the Dentist, but not with as much trepidation as in the past. Actually I worry more about the cost than anything else.
Dentistry from the horse and buggy stage up to todays marvelous workmanship. I am sorry to say neither my Dad nor my older brother had much luck with their dentures. Ron and Willetta had "imediate restoration", which they say is the only way to do it. If my luck continues, I won't have to find out.
Jay had such beautiful teeth. Good genes I guess. That and the fact he was faithful in brushing, and seeing the Dentist. I don't think that came from his family. Both his parents had dentures. I think he was blessed with good teeth and joining the Navy at such a young age, he was treated and found the benefit from early detection. What ever the case, I have to give him credit for keeping after me until I learned to follow the correct procedure to still have my teeth.
What is the moral? I am not sure there is one. I am just greatful that Medicine has advanced to the stage it has, and all the modern machines and treatments that keep us healthy longer are now available. Which means I am just as greatful that Dentistry has made the advancements it has. No more mercury fillings. Modern equipment that makes going to the Dentist more comforable. Now, that is not to say I want to watch TV while I am worked on, but it is nice to have the lay back chairs and computer held records that help keep up to date with all that is being done, or done in my mouth. I am not sure I get that much out of wearing dark glasses while they "play" in my mouth, but appreciate they cover their mouth and nose while they work on me, with my trap wide open. I don't need anymore germs than I carry around on my own.
Having those "eyepopping" magnifiers on their glasses I am sure make for more comfort for me. At least they see where they are going.
Yes, I would have to say that things have advanced a great deal since my Dad had to submit to having money taken from his pocket to help cover tooth damage. I am not sure how much more the Dentist asked for the work, but I am sure he was paid well. Guess we are back to the old addage; "you get what you pay for". I for one am greatful what I pay for is visible when I walk into the Dentist Office. I no longer fear that "straight chair" with only a head rest that moved to put me into position for the torture I went through. Now I can relax, grab onto the armrest and
prepare for the torture. (Well really not torture.) Better wording might be "discomfort". I hate having my mouth sleep so I feel like half my face is gone. Or dribble water down the front of my blouse when I try to take a drink before I have regained my former feeling.
You know, you've been there, and done that too. How about the nose? Well, that is another whole section, and we won't go there for now.
Just remember: "see your Dentist twice a year and have your teeth cleaned regularly" It is really money in the bank. I'm not sure just whose bank, but you get the idea!

Written this 1st day of January 2010
by: Eileen Rosenberg

No comments:

Post a Comment