Wednesday, January 20, 2010

Travels I would love to do!

Now that I have pretty well erased much interest in flying again, I guess any travel that might interest me would have to be done in a "slower" form. I love to drive, so I can see myself taking a motor trip to enjoy the beauty of this Country we live in. The trip I recall with the greatest of enjoyment was the one across the country with three freinds when we stopped at the various Temples on our way. You know you see a number of trailers and motor homes while you are on the open road. They make housing more available, but stopping at a Motel, getting your laundry done and a good nights rest close to where you want to be in the morning is pretty good too.
With good company I would love to drive back to the Church History Sites once more. Things have changed so much since I last had that pleasure. In fact I have never been to Vermont. I would like to see some of the early History sites of New England as well. Pennsylvania with the Liberty Bell and Gettysberg. I don't care to see New York City again, once was enough of that, but I would love to see Watson's Glenn again. There is so much beauty across the United States that any of it is worth the time.
You know I have visited Oklahoma and Will Rogers Museum twice, but I wouldn't mind seeing it again. Never enough time to gather in all the things that are out there. The greatest fun for me is to do some checking of what each State has to offer and then lay out a trip that will allow me the chance to check out as much as I possibly can. I don't mind driving 50 miles or so out of my way to see something of Historical value. You know one thing I have always wanted to do is visit the Plantations in the South. That part of our History always fascinated me. Such beautiful homes and lands. Those Southern States are just full of interesting things to see.
Yes, and I would like to see some of Canada as well. Such a vast country and now that I know my Grand Father on my Mothers side was there, and did some work for the Railroad, I would love to see that as well. Can or will I do that? Probably not, but I would love to. A shame I did not have the information sooner, some of the possibility could have been met purhaps.
Yes I would love to attend more Temples. There are more of them to visit now. Each one so different, and yet the people and the Sessions are the same. Making appointments for the smaller ones did not pose a problem in our trip before, so I would hope to be able to do those I missed the next time around. Especially the one at Winter Quarters in Nebraska. We missed it by one day, they were closed for cleaning. You know we enjoyed attending Church in so many places too. All in all it was a great experience.
If I could make such a trip, I would like to have at least three weeks. Planning would take me about a month on the internet and by mail. So many interesting things to look for and so many decisions of what would be best to fit into the time and with ease in driving. You don't want to spend all that much time in the car. Have to have plenty of time to do and see the things along the route as you can.
There are a couple of trips I have seen by Train that would be fun, if they were afforable. One thing about the Train is you can see things as you travel because you don't have to keep your eye on the road. Then the meals are included if you have a compartment, which is really the only way to go if you are on the Train for any length of time. Chair cars are fine for short distances, but terrible for sleeping if you are going any distance. We have always had such good assistance on the Train. Age has it's advantages in that department.
Would I Cruise again? Yes, if I could find a trip that was interesting enough. I am not interested in going any place that would not be colorful. The Islands of the South Pacific might be interesting. I wouldn't mind going around the Hawian Islands by Ship. That would be very colorful I think. If you want the best of all the Islands of course you need to visit the Polenisian (sp) Cultural Center at BYU Hawaii. That way you can see every Island Culture in a natural setting and see the great entertainment each offers.
I think traveling is great fun. I wish I could have done much more of it when I was younger. As it is, I guess I did quite a bit at that. Never enough however. It is always great to get away, and even better to get back home and into your own bed. Which reminds me, that is where I should be right now, it is a quarter to four in the A.M.

Written this 20th day of January 2010
by: Eileen Rosenberg

1 comment: