Monday, January 11, 2010

What Did I Break, and How?

I beleive I went through the leg incident. I was just about 7 years old when that happened. No need to go there again. Then I remembered about my left little finger. I was in the 7th grade at
Gage Junior High School. At recess we were playing Kickball. I never really was very good at sports, well beside swimming and diving that is. I was charging an incoming ball, stuck out my hand and it hit me right on the tip of my little finger. I pulled back my hand, but the damage was already done.
At the end of recess I went to my next class, as I recall it was with Miss Alice Knoff (one of my most favorite teachers in Junior High School). She noticed me, and came over to ask what was the matter. I told her about the accident and she immediately sent me to the office to see the School Nurse. It didn't take her long to evaluate the condition. She called my Mother and I was taken to the Dr. I suppose at that time it was Dr. Ward in Walnut Park, just over the Huntington Park border off Florence Avenue.
I don't recall them doing any x-rays. The Doctor set the finger and put my "pinky" in a splint, and wrapped the finger so the break would heal. I believe it was more painful than the break in my leg. Of course that one did not need to be put back into place. Whatever, I spent a miserable 6 weeks with it. No more PE classes or active recess til the end of the semester as I recall. Needless to say I wasn't anxious to play anyway. Doesn't take much of a slam like that to make one shy of flying kickballs.
Gage Avenue holds a great many memories for me. It was where I was attending when December the 7th happened. I don't believe I shall ever forget the day after. War! At the time none of us realized how long it would last, or just how many changes it would bring into our lives. As bad as it was, we never had to see our homes bombed, or people dead or dying in the streets as they did in Europe. In fact, we as a nation have been overly blessed that any War we have had a part in has never brought the fighting home.
I had my first real "graduation" from Gage Avenue. The first time I experienced the intergration from another school into the group of friends I had made at Pacific Blvd. Elementary School. From a small class to a bigger one. Not that it was all that big really. We ended up with the Winter Class of 1947 having only 93 Students. I believe I have said before, at this time the Los Angeles School System had a two semester schedule. If you came into the 9th grade in January/February you were concidered the Winter Class. If you came into the 9th grad in June/September you were the Summer Class. I started School in Pennsylvania, so was not added by the age standard of California. I started First Grade in California. I had already been in First Grade in Pennsylvania. There was no Kindergarten in either State at that time. Oh, that would have 1938. (ancient I know, but hush!)
The change from Junior High Campus to that of Huntington Park High School was pretty scarey. Of course my house was only two doors from campus and HPHS, so I never had the walk I had before. I could hear the tardy bell and still be in class on time. Because the High School had a Swimming Pool it was best to get your PE class either last period before lunch, or last period of the day. Otherwise, for the girls that is, you had the rest of your classes with wet hair. What a horror that was. Back then any girl wouldn't be caught dead with her wet and straggely. Just goes to show how times and style change. She wouldn't have been caught with her knees showing either. The style then was sweaters and skirts. Penny Loafers or Saddle Oxfords for shoes. Bobby Sox, no bear feet on the sidewalk, or in shoes.
The boys didn't mind their hair being wet, but it was always cut short, and combed neat. They wore Cordaroy pants or slacks. Dress shoes or Basketball shoes, which were leather. Styles for men were pretty classey back then.
I digress - sorry about that. Just got into the time slot, and got lost in thought. Some pretty good memories back then. Been fun looking back!

Written this 11th day of January 2010
by: Eileen Rosenberg

No comments:

Post a Comment